Upgrade Offers on MSC

Our cruise is about 2 weeks out and we get upgrade offers almost daily and they are getting less expensive.  Is this normal for MSC and if so how close to the sailing date should i wait to make a bid?  This seems really close to the sail date given on other lines we have done this on, NCL, we were given one opportunity to make a bid and we knew we won it at least a month out.

Maybe the cruise isnt fully booked yet?  We have three cabins and they seem to be targeting our 1 interior cabin pretty heavily.

So, we got our daily upgrade offer emails and the prices are getting pretty attractive If it was just us cruising, we would do it in a heartbeat, however, we have three cabins and want to keep them together so it got us thinking, what is the possibility of them automatically upgrading us if they are unable to sell those cabins?  I think we chose that option when we originally booked and in our 30+ cruises, we have never just been upgraded without paying, but given the fact that this particular cruise we dont want to be upgraded, we are concerned.  Anyone every just been upgraded without paying on MSC?  thx

Yes, my last MSC cruise got moved from an inside to a Aurea balcony for no apparent reason. Was not upset at all. We were with other people too and didn't care how close we were. Not like we had to drive to get to their cabin.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mvh said:

Yes, my last MSC cruise got moved from an inside to a Aurea balcony for no apparent reason. Was not upset at all. We were with other people too and didn't care how close we were. Not like we had to drive to get to their cabin.

Thanks and we were afraid of that.  Little more complex for us.  Our 3 cabins comprise of 1 17yo in an inside, 2 20yo in a balcony and ours, parents in a balcony beside the other balcony.  the inside is across from ours.  So it will be an issue if they decide to move the 17yo to some other deck.  

Thanks

8 hours ago, xcell said:

my cruise is 2 months out and I received an email to upgrade but min bid is high -- so do the bids get lower closer to sail date if no one is bidding?

Yes, the ones we have been getting over the last few days are way lower than what we got a month or two ago.  Our cruise is june 10 and we have been getting them daily over the last week.

15 hours ago, 20165 said:

Thanks and we were afraid of that.  Little more complex for us.  Our 3 cabins comprise of 1 17yo in an inside, 2 20yo in a balcony and ours, parents in a balcony beside the other balcony.  the inside is across from ours.  So it will be an issue if they decide to move the 17yo to some other deck.  

Thanks

We must be crappy parents. We would have no problem letting our 17 year old be on there own floor. However, I thought the cruise lines make sure anyone under 18 is in a connecting room or across the hall (I could be wrong). So, you probably don't have to worry.

29 minutes ago, mvh said:

We must be crappy parents. We would have no problem letting our 17 year old be on there own floor. However, I thought the cruise lines make sure anyone under 18 is in a connecting room or across the hall (I could be wrong). So, you probably don't have to worry.

Thats exactly what we are hoping.  And we are with you about the 17yo, but he isnt overly excited about cruising, open water in particular, hence the inside cabin.  If they were to upgrade him to an window or god forbid, a balcony, all heck would break loose...

37 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Thats exactly what we are hoping.  And we are with you about the 17yo, but he isnt overly excited about cruising, open water in particular, hence the inside cabin.  If they were to upgrade him to an window or god forbid, a balcony, all heck would break loose...

Got it, makes sense.

2 hours ago, Preziosa said:

How do you get these upgrade E mails.

I have signed in for newsletters many times, but I never get EMails with upgrade offers.

We have been getting them since we booked, although that was only about 2 months ago and we sail next week. Last minute cruise...  I got one yesterday and i expect one today at some point. They seem to be targeting my son's inside cabin because i consistently get 1 a day about that one.  The other two cabins i get about twice a week.  Not sure what triggers the algorithm on who get what upgrade offers, but if i had to guess, they want insides for some odd reason....  thx

It's interesting with the upgrade emails - seems to be a similar process as NCL in who receives bids, how bids are processed / accepted / denied by the third party dealer. 

We are in a YC balcony suite for a July Seaside sailing and was on the phone with the MSC call center re: OBC question when I asked out of curiosity why we have not gotten a bid to upgrade. Please understand - we are very happy with our room, but there is the allure of the Royal Suite with a separate area for our 14 yo. We were told that if in a YC room you generally are not sent upgrade bids as "you are in the highest category already". I don't believe this is true as we have gotten upgrade emails previously for a YC balcony to the Deluxe and Royal, but the MSC call centers are certainly notorious for providing incorrect information.

It's not a big deal at all as the Royal has a bigger space but no 2nd bathroom; the extra outlay of cash for a 4 night cruise just to have more space was not worth it for us or we would have booked it outright. A small upgrade bid? Sure...if offered then no harm, no foul. Free...even better! 

Curious what other CC experiences' have been. 

Warmest, Amy

4 hours ago, amygutman said:

We were told that if in a YC room you generally are not sent upgrade bids as "you are in the highest category already". I don't believe this is true as we have gotten upgrade emails previously for a YC balcony to the Deluxe and Royal, but the MSC call centers are certainly notorious for providing incorrect information.

lol!  100% a case of an MSC phone rep making something up on the fly.  Yes, bids are offered to YC guests.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, Morgsmom said:

lol!  100% a case of an MSC phone rep making something up on the fly.  Yes, bids are offered to YC guests.

Indeed - but every now and again you do get an awesome rep who’s on the ball. I can see why the TAs get frustrated though. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We keep getting emails about putting in a minimum bid of over like $2600/pp or something like that for a Royal Suite.  Umm, no thanks, we'll keep our deluxe suite!  lol  Btw, we sail in 3 weeks.

Although the Deluxe Suites have their downsides (biggest being not able to go directly in and out of the YC due to stairs / elevator locations), the views are spectacular and having two bathrooms / distinct living areas is wonderful.

Plus....HOT TUB!!!! The balcony IMHO is the best part of the room. Careful on those stairs - they are very steep with an odd rise to the even odder-colored carpet. Have a great cruise... We are in the Seaside in July in a "regular" YC suite. Will miss that 2nd bathroom, but happy to be in the YC. 

Warmest, Amy

Just now, amygutman said:

Although the Deluxe Suites have their downsides (biggest being not able to go directly in and out of the YC due to stairs / elevator locations), the views are spectacular and having two bathrooms / distinct living areas is wonderful.

Plus....HOT TUB!!!! The balcony IMHO is the best part of the room. Careful on those stairs - they are very steep with an odd rise to the even odder-colored carpet. Have a great cruise... We are in the Seaside in July in a "regular" YC suite. Will miss that 2nd bathroom, but happy to be in the YC. 

Warmest, Amy

@NCteacherlovescruisingOh shoot...post-night shift brain. I thought you said DUPLEX suite...just caught that it is a DELUXE suite. No worries about those stairs. Apologies if I caused confusion. 

Never post after night shift! Bad sleepy brain ...

16 minutes ago, amygutman said:

@NCteacherlovescruisingOh shoot...post-night shift brain. I thought you said DUPLEX suite...just caught that it is a DELUXE suite. No worries about those stairs. Apologies if I caused confusion. 

Never post after night shift! Bad sleepy brain ...

I was reading your first post wondering what you were talking about. Lol We won’t have two bathrooms or a hot tub on our balcony. Wouldn’t mind if we did though. 

• Like 1

We sail this Sunday, 6/10, and just got another upgrade offer for my sons inside cabin.  Again, this seems to be the one they are really targeting.  Pretty reasonable pricing though.  $75pp for a ocean view, $260pp for a deluxe balcony.  I wonder when they will close the bidding and give people their upgrades.  We are 6 days out...