Using Amtrak to get to Manhattan Terminal

Lady_hlh

58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was not talking about being IN Tribeca late at night, I was referring to the late night long walk from the Broadway/Times Square area TO Tribeca (to which an earlier poster had referred).  

But, yes, as a rule New York City is as safe as most other parts of the country - but there are parts of the city, and times of night, where there is increased risk —and statistics bear that out, so why press your luck ?

I like the odds. And I have never felt unsafe doing this. Nor have others here who have actually done this.

I don’t  understand the “ NYC IS UNSAFE” and “why take a chance” chants from folks who haven’t actually had their feet in the ground recently.

Fear-mongering makes us all weak, and can empty the streets of folks who are just enjoying themselves, leaving them open to those who might see more opportunity to commit crimes do to the lack of eyes around them.  There is no upside to these “warnings”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I like the odds. And I have never felt unsafe doing this. Nor have others here who have actually done this.

I don’t  understand the “ NYC IS UNSAFE” and “why take a chance” chants from folks who haven’t actually had their feet in the ground recently.

Fear-mongering makes us all weak, and can empty the streets of folks who are just enjoying themselves, leaving them open to those who might see more opportunity to commit crimes do to the lack of eyes around them.  There is no upside to these “warnings”

I visit New York regularly  - seeing family and attending theater in Manhattan - I probably have “…my feet in the ground…” more recently than someone from “The other coast” (whatever that means).

My comments, which apparently upset you, have been strictly with regard to very late at night walks in areas with very few people about.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

My responses to "why take a chance" arguments typically involves the more likely adversities that people routinely take, but getting upset with relatively minor chance events. For example, many people think nothing of traveling in an automobile, yet it is one of the most dangerous common activities one encounters regularly. So when I hear people shying away from using public transportation, because it "unsafe," and then proceed to travel by automobile, I just shake my head with disappointment that so many people have little sense of statistics and risk. So many thoughts seem to be the consequence of irrational fear rather than actual statistics.

As to real statistics regarding the danger of automobile travel, these statistics were compiled by Ian Savage in his paper, "Comparing the fatality risks in United States transportation across
modes and over time." http://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2012.12.011.

Passenger fatalities per billion passenger miles 2000-2009.

• Riding a motorcycle 212.57
  • Driving or passenger in a car or light truck 7.28
  • Passenger on a local ferryboat 3.17
  • Passenger on commuter rail and Amtrak 0.43
  • Passenger on urban mass transit rail 0.24
  • Passenger on a bus 0.11
  • Passenger on commercial aviation 0.07

Using public transportation is relatively safe and secure; choosing instead to travel by automobile is less safe.

Now let's look at some statistics that compare New York with other states. I will note that the fatality rate, from motor vehicle crashes, measured per capita, makes New York state the second safest (the only incrementally safer state being Rhode Island). http://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/state-by-state This statistic is largely driven by New York City, which is by far the safest place in the country. In contrast, Mississippi is the most dangerous state, with more than five times as many fatalities compared to New York. The state of Florida, the state where most North American cruises originate, has a fatality rate three times that of New York. As to security (which is frequently confused with safety), the homicide rate, measured per capita, places New York as reasonably secure, ranking 18 out of the 50 states. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm The most dangerous state, again, is Mississippi, with a rate six times higher. The rate in Florida is 50 percent than New York. As to overall crime (of which any measurement algorithm requires certain assumptions to be made as to weighting), New York ranks 11 out of the 50 states, being slightly more secure than the state of Iowa. http://www.usa.com/rank/us--crime-index--state-rank.htm The least secure state is South Carolina. In this measurement, Mississippi is in the middle, ranking 25, while Florida is far less secure, ranking 45.

New York is a safe and secure place to be. Not perfect, but reasonable people should not have trepidation about traveling to New York. We can do better--hopefully our present and future mayors will take those measures needed to do so--but even now New York is a good place to visit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I visit New York regularly  - seeing family and attending theater in Manhattan - I probably have “…my feet in the ground…” more recently than someone from “The other coast” (whatever that means).

My comments, which apparently upset you, have been strictly with regard to very late at night walks in areas with very few people about.

We just moved from Boston. We were in Manhattan 6-8 times per year, and averaged 25K steps/day, all over Manhattan,  plus Queens and Brooklyn.

The blanket  "Not Safe" cries are what bugs me.  When good people are afraid to walk the streets only bad people will walk the streets.

Don't be part of the problem telling good people not to walk the streets 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

We just moved from Boston. We were in Manhattan 6-8 times per year, and averaged 25K steps/day, all over Manhattan,  plus Queens and Brooklyn.

The blanket  "Not Safe" cries are what bugs me.  When good people are afraid to walk the streets only bad people will walk the streets.

Don't be part of the problem telling good people not to walk the streets 

… and don’t mislead people by insisting that ALL parts of New York are completely safe all hours of the night.

p.s. I lived in New York for a total of about 25 years, commuted daily into the city for another 25 years, and still visit the city more than a dozen times a year.  I love the city, but not to the point of being a see-no-evil fan of the city.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

… and don’t mislead people by insisting that ALL parts of New York are completely safe all hours of the night.

p.s. I lived in New York for a total of about 25 years, commuted daily into the city for another 25 years, and still visit the city more than a dozen times a year.  I love the city, but not to the point of being a see-no-evil fan of the city.

I certainly never said that. But any place a tourist would likely want to visit shouldn't be feared and shouldn't be warned against.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

My responses to "why take a chance" arguments typically involves the more likely adversities that people routinely take, but getting upset with relatively minor chance events. For example, many people think nothing of traveling in an automobile, yet it is one of the most dangerous common activities one encounters regularly. So when I hear people shying away from using public transportation, because it "unsafe," and then proceed to travel by automobile, I just shake my head with disappointment that so many people have little sense of statistics and risk. So many thoughts seem to be the consequence of irrational fear rather than actual statistics.

As to real statistics regarding the danger of automobile travel, these statistics were compiled by Ian Savage in his paper, "Comparing the fatality risks in United States transportation across
modes and over time." http://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2012.12.011.

Passenger fatalities per billion passenger miles 2000-2009.

• Riding a motorcycle 212.57
  • Driving or passenger in a car or light truck 7.28
  • Passenger on a local ferryboat 3.17
  • Passenger on commuter rail and Amtrak 0.43
  • Passenger on urban mass transit rail 0.24
  • Passenger on a bus 0.11
  • Passenger on commercial aviation 0.07

Using public transportation is relatively safe and secure; choosing instead to travel by automobile is less safe.

Now let's look at some statistics that compare New York with other states. I will note that the fatality rate, from motor vehicle crashes, measured per capita, makes New York state the second safest (the only incrementally safer state being Rhode Island). http://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/state-by-state This statistic is largely driven by New York City, which is by far the safest place in the country. In contrast, Mississippi is the most dangerous state, with more than five times as many fatalities compared to New York. The state of Florida, the state where most North American cruises originate, has a fatality rate three times that of New York. As to security (which is frequently confused with safety), the homicide rate, measured per capita, places New York as reasonably secure, ranking 18 out of the 50 states. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm The most dangerous state, again, is Mississippi, with a rate six times higher. The rate in Florida is 50 percent than New York. As to overall crime (of which any measurement algorithm requires certain assumptions to be made as to weighting), New York ranks 11 out of the 50 states, being slightly more secure than the state of Iowa. http://www.usa.com/rank/us--crime-index--state-rank.htm The least secure state is South Carolina. In this measurement, Mississippi is in the middle, ranking 25, while Florida is far less secure, ranking 45.

New York is a safe and secure place to be. Not perfect, but reasonable people should not have trepidation about traveling to New York. We can do better--hopefully our present and future mayors will take those measures needed to do so--but even now New York is a good place to visit.

While i was reading this i was literally laughing out loud as I thought - here's someone trying to address the issue with data and facts! 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:34 PM, meadowlander said:
On 5/31/2023 at 9:59 PM, Lady_hlh said:

Thanks I wasn’t aware of these buses. Do they leave from the train station parking lot in Rensselaer?

If you go to Yankee Trails site there is a link for their cruise express with the information you need. Parking is included in the bus ticket price.

This. I have friends who rely on this as their means of transportation to/from the MCT and Albany area.

• Like 1