helpful hints for first time NCL cruiser?

drpclarke

Hello fellow cruisers!

It has been so long since I've done a Mediterranean Cruise, and I've never done an NCL cruise...only Royal Caribbean and (gasp) Carnival.

What helpful tips do you have?

Digging through my memory - I'm thinking I need a surge protector so I'm able to plug everything in that is needed.  

Anything else? It's been so long and I'm embarrassed to ask this because I used to know all of the little "things" that were needed.

Thanks!

Rachel

My best tip for a Med cruise is to pack large Ziploc baggies.  Take a facecloth from the ship and wrap it around ice cubes (from the buffet) then put the ice filled facecloth in the Ziploc bag.  Stays cool for hours and feels so good on those hot, hot excursions. I put the cold cloth on the back of my neck.

Tips specific to NCL:

-select an early port arrival time for embarkation day

-once on board they will have a place to store carry on luggage before cabins are ready 

-the pool is not too crowded on embarkation day so consider keeping your bathing suit and flip flops with you 

-pool/beach towels are provided so no need to pack them

-the shampoo/body wash and conditioner are not great (unless in a suite or Haven) so pack your own

-go to the Newlywed Not So Newlywed game.  It’s fun.

-attend your cruise critic roll call meet and greet

-if your ship has a Sugarcane mojito bar, work your way through the menu

-if you, like me, sometimes get hungry at night take some items back to your cabin from the buffet before it closes (I know O’Sheehans/The Local has late night food.  Hit or miss.)

-tipping is entirely up to you.  Don’t feel pressured by what people will write here on Cruise Critic

-pack lots of sunscreen

-try a Mudslide and a Mango Meltdown

-the goat cheese croquettes in Le Bistro are yummy

-the buffet may have crepes.  If they do, have one!

On which ship are you cruising?

3 hours ago, drpclarke said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

It has been so long since I've done a Mediterranean Cruise, and I've never done an NCL cruise...only Royal Caribbean and (gasp) Carnival.

Digging through my memory - I'm thinking I need a surge protector so I'm able to plug everything in that is needed.  

Anything else? It's been so long and I'm embarrassed to ask this because I used to know all of the little "things" that were needed.

Thanks!

Rachel

Dining reservations open exactly 120 days prior to departure at 12 midnight eastern time (125 if you are in a club balcony or 130 if you are in a suite). Book dinners exactly 120 days out at midnight for the best selection. 

Online check in opens 21 days prior to departure at 12 midnight eastern time. Checkin at midnight for best port arrival times. 

Nevrr bring a surge protector onto a ship. Ships are wired differently than home and a surge protector could cause a fire. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, drpclarke said:

I'm thinking I need a surge protector so I'm able to plug everything in that is needed.

Absolutely NOT a surge protector!!!  A power strip without would work (but will bear scrutiny from security), but even better if all you need to charge are devices that plug in to USB is a multi-port USB charger.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:00 PM, drpclarke said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

Thanks!

Rachel

Regarding electric outlets and charging ports:

1. It's possible your cabin will have just a single US 2-prong outlet next to a single Euro 2-pin outlet. So bring a Euro plug adaptor to make use of the 2nd outlet. 

2. If you own a multi-power or multi-USB charging station, this can be used. It's not the same thing as a surge-protector, which is not allowed. 

Keep an open mind.

NCL is a lot less structured than the other 2 lines.  No suit, no problem.  Dressy or formal wear is up to you. Guys do need slacks for Le Bistro, however.

Don't panic about MDR reservations.  You can walk up and get seats with a minimal wait.  You will also get a different seat each time (most likely) and can probably get a window seat a few times.

Specialty restaurants are what you need to book at 120 day mark.

Breakfast is sit down in MDR if you don't like buffets.

Magnet or suction cup hooks come in handy, bring 3 or 4.

TV selections aren't great, but why bother, your on a cruise...

Follow your account on from the TV menu daily.  This will help ensure you are getting charged correctly, and makes check out a little less surprising.

If you have a CPAP machine, your room steward will provide the distilled water.  Ask on the first day.

Luggage is taking longer to get to your room, don't panic.

Carry on luggage or items work best in a well designed backpack. Easier to move around in line and once on board.

The Garden Cafe (buffet) extends onto the aft section (Great Outdoors) of deck 12.  There are smaller serving locations there that most people ignore.  Using the aft tables provides the "world passing by" while you eat.  There is also a bar there for morning libations. (or any other time)

The Spinnaker Lounge has that mid-century modern feel to it.

• Like 1

Bypass the buffet when you get on board and head down to the main dining room (whichever is open) for a relaxing, uncrowded lunch.

Bring a highlighter for the daily planner so you don't miss events you want to attend.

Don't forget to apply lots of sunscreen and use seasick meds (I use patches) before you need either of them.

Add international plans to your phone if necessary. 

Ditto on the Mudslide!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Tip:

To bring with you a few fridge magnets is a  good idea, as the walls in your cabin have metal in them and can be used as a huge magnetic board for hanging up various papers. 😊

As well as pins to get the paperwork on the walls and of any desk space  got some magnetic hooks

Use these to hang things like caps, umbrella, small day pack...

On a new to us ship I also print out the main public decks on the biggest paper we have(A3) really handy to get know a ship