Making Last Minute Carribean Plans - need advice

joyyak

Making very last minute plans for a Carribean cruise for March 24 or 25. Any advice? I am not familiar with the "best" cruiselines to look at or the "best" trips to book (destination wise). We are wide open for suggestions. It will be myself and kids (16 and 21). Of course, the 16 year old wants to hit a beach or two (something I don't care about). The only cruise we have been on was Dawn Princess to Alaska. Help!!

First, I would start with what Eastern and Western cruises are leaving on your dates. The I would look at the ports of call. I am sure some itineraries will look more appealing than others. However, I think the Eastern Caribbean itinerary might provide warmer seas at this time of year.

As far as cruiselines go, my first suggestion would be Royal Caribbean. I think for the ages of your party, this line has it all. Carnival may be an option, but it depends on whether you are OK with over-the-top decor on a ship.

Anyway, once you have it narrowed down to one or two sailings, you can then see which might be a better deal.

Definitely check intineraries of the various cruise lines. There are Eastern Caribbean and Western Caribbean itineraries. There are also Southern Caribbean itineraries. Many of the Southern Caribbean, but not all, itineraries require you to fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico to board the ship.

I prefer Eastern Caribbean ports, but Western Caribbean ports are so popular that the enornmous Freedom of the Seas will sail there exclusively. A typical Western Caribbean itinerary includes Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and/or Belize, Costa Maya or Jamaica or even Key West.

A typical Eastern Caribbean itinerary would include Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas and St Maartin or a cruise ship private island in some combination. If your kids love beaches, those at the private islands are especially nice, but remember the swimming on a ship is lots of fun, too.

When I say "typical" itinerary, I mean that depending on the itinerary, ports will be different. It also depends on the length of the cruise how many and what ports you will see.

For Eastern Caribbean I recommend Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. For Western, Jewel of the Seas,(Fort Lauderdale) or Enchantment of the Seas (Miami). I am a big fan of RCI, so keep that in mind. You could probably enjoy Carnival Glory and Carnival Miracle just as much. Heck, you'll probably enjoy almost any ship to anywhere. You are cruising at a time when the weather is especially good.

Making very last minute plans for a Carribean cruise for March 24 or 25. Any advice? I am not familiar with the "best" cruiselines to look at or the "best" trips to book (destination wise). We are wide open for suggestions. It will be myself and kids (16 and 21). Of course, the 16 year old wants to hit a beach or two (something I don't care about). The only cruise we have been on was Dawn Princess to Alaska. Help!!

I would definitely recommend Western Caribbean for the kids (Belize, Cozumel, other places depending on the itinerary). Those destinations are a little more cutting edge than Grand Cayman, Nassau, etc., although Roatan Beach, Honduras is also fantastic. Roatan has zip-line canopy tours (awesome). Cayman has Stingray City (not too exciting). Belize has incredible snorkeling and cave tubing. Nassau has historic walking tours and Atlantis (aquarium part only). Progreso has Dzibilchaltun and Altun Ha (awe inspiring). Cayman has a great place to buy Swatches. Get my drift?

However, if money is an issue, both Elation and Imagination are a great bang for your buck. I think any of the major lines are a bit cheesy, right? So although most Carnival ships are chaotically decorated I don't think they are that much different from the most sedate HAL cruise. Just MHO.

You and the kids will have an awesome time no matter where you go or which ship you sail.

Hope this helps!

Come join us on the Carnival Miracle 3/26/06......we are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya......It's a Sunday to Sunday sail....

We have a great roll call going and lots of teens.....also some early 20's ..... it will be a blast......

Grand Cayman has Stingray City (not too exciting). Belize has incredible snorkeling and cave tubing. Nassau has historic walking tours and Atlantis (aquarium part only). Progreso has Dzibilchaltun and Altun Ha (awe inspiring). Cayman has a great place to buy Swatches. Get my drift?

Hope this helps!

I must disagree about Stingray City...we thought it was great. Very exciting! You get to swim and feed stingrays. I think your kids would really enjoy it.

Have fun researching! Enjoy your cruise. :D

Michelle

I agree that Western would be a better choice unless your kids are mostly into beaches, snorkeling and shopping. There's a variety of additional things to do ion the Western routes ncluding cave tubing (Belize), zip lining (Belize and, I believe Playa Del Carmen), visiting ruins (Belize, Coasta Maya), Dunns River Falls (Ocho Rios), and swimming with sting rays (Grand Cayman and Belize.)

As for cruise line, other than staying away from the lines that mainly attract an older crowd (HAL and Celebrity), I would pick based on itinerary and cost rather than cruise line. Another factor to consider would be traditional vs. open dining (NCL and Princess).

Don't wait too long because cruises are going out completely booked, this is the start of spring break season and not much is left, plus you must book more than 4 days prior to the cruise leaving due to Homeland Security rules and regs.

Thanks for all your advice! I made the reservation today on RCCL Voyager of the Seas for Western Carribean and we sail in 8 days!! We had MAJOR trouble finding air at such a late date - finally for an arm and leg we found a couple of seats. My daughter (16) and I are looking forward to some special moments. We are currently checking out the ruins, scuba diving, horseback riding and some other activites. I can't believe this ship actually has an ice skating rink!

Thanks again and bon voyage!

Joyce

Archived