Accessible Transportation to Port Canaveral

510picker

Please elaborate on what accessibility features you require. Transporting power wheelchairs and non-collapsible scooters are most problematic.Technically, at least companies offering shuttles are required under the ADA. Most don’t comply.

2 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Please elaborate on what accessibility features you require. Transporting power wheelchairs and non-collapsible scooters are most problematic.Technically, at least companies offering shuttles are required under the ADA. Most don’t comply.

I am in a rigid frame, manual wheelchair. We typically cuise out of Ft Lauderdale where I am accustomed to accessible taxis that I simply roll up into the back of. Unfortunately there are no cruises out of Ft Lauderdale when we want to go, so I am looking at other options.

Mears taxi is a big player in transportation in Orlando and has a number of accessible taxis in its fleet, and the ability to schedule in advance.

if you are taking a Disney cruise AND overnighting in Orlando, you could use Disney Cruise Line transportation from any of the Disney hotels to the cruise. Mears’ Disney Connect service is available to get you to the hotel.

The MCO Hyatt is in-airport and is s pretty nice hotel for an overnight.

The easiest way to get from MCO to a cruise ship and back is to book the transfer with the cruise line you are sailing on.

You will want to explicitly reserve a wheelchair-accessible space- the cruise line will assign you to an accessible bus of, at their discretion, a cab, minibus, or other accessible vehicle. You will pay the same transfer rate as anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, 510picker said:

I am in a rigid frame, manual wheelchair. We typically cuise out of Ft Lauderdale where I am accustomed to accessible taxis that I simply roll up into the back of. Unfortunately there are no cruises out of Ft Lauderdale when we want to go, so I am looking at other options.

Do you have the contact info for accessible taxis in Ft. Lauderdale?  I fly with a transfer wheelchair, but have reserved an electric wheelchair for the cruise.

14 hours ago, Carole2313 said:

Do you have the contact info for accessible taxis in Ft. Lauderdale?  I fly with a transfer wheelchair, but have reserved an electric wheelchair for the cruise.

My husband does a similar thing.   Travels with a transfer chair and rents a scooter for the ship.  

Your electric wheelchair is rented and will be in your stateroom, correct?   Assuming your transfer chair folds up, are you sure you need an accessible taxi?    We have always had a regular taxi (although sometimes a van taxi) and the transfer chair folds up to fit in the trunk.  A lot of those taxis are Crown Victorias and they have big trunks.   

But more recently, we have been using Uber from the hotel to the pier.   We always order an UberXL (they are a larger vehicle, like an SUV) which is a big improvement from the taxis.