Car rental in Papeete ..

Piaa

Good day

We will be disembarking in Papeete and will be staying for 2 days it Tahiti - does anyone have a recommendation for a car rental company at the port please.

Thank you

As per Lonely Planet and Google, there is an Avis office on Tahiti. The website indicates there is hotel pickup. Google "car rental Papeete" and it will be towards the top of the results. I do not have any experience with anyone on the island as it is my first time there, but Avis should be reliable.

54 minutes ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

As per Lonely Planet and Google, there is an Avis office on Tahiti. The website indicates there is hotel pickup. Google "car rental Papeete" and it will be towards the top of the results. I do not have any experience with anyone on the island as it is my first time there, but Avis should be reliable.

Thank you - we just found a local car rental company that is cheaper than Avis with unlimited miles and they will pick us up so giving them a go 🙂

Much appreciate your help.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, Piaa said:

Thank you - we just found a local car rental company that is cheaper than Avis with unlimited miles and they will pick us up so giving them a go 🙂

Can you please share the name of the other car rental company?  

~Nancy

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

Can you please share the name of the other car rental company?  

~Nancy

@oakridger here you go - just know you will pay upon reserving and it is non refundable but I believe a credit if you cancel.  We booked an automatic, unlimited miles, insurance for about $115 cheaper than Avis (which was a manual transmission) and they were very responsive to my emails.  They will meet you and drop you off at the airport (hopefully the cruise port instead of the airport)  and they did get good reviews.. 

https://www.ecocar-tahiti.com/index_en.php?nx=ACC&jeton=1686759607CEEHDNNRNB&rap_typnum=0&rap_datedeb=&rap_datefin=&rap_heuredeb=&rap_minutedeb=&rap_heurefin=&rap_minutefin=&rap_villedeb=&rap_villefin=&rap_email=&rap_phone=&rap_carte= 

Edited by Piaa
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, Piaa said:

The unlimited miles is what you have to watch for. We were surprised when we had to pay extra. The couple before us had a real issue since they hadn't budgeted for that expense.

19 hours ago, patty1955 said:

The unlimited miles is what you have to watch for. We were surprised when we had to pay extra. The couple before us had a real issue since they hadn't budgeted for that expense.

I agree @patty1955 I don't know how I didn't spot that mileage is extra at the agencies I was looking at - I guess I just assumed it was unlimited miles as I am so used to it being included and I think it was about 0.50 cents a mile or something like that ... I also didn't spot that most cars are manual so I was happy to find Eco with unlimited miles and an automatic 

I'm lucky to be very comfortable with a manual transmission.  I had a manual transmission for many years living in San Francisco......I got really, really, good at stop signs on very steep hills!!! 😮

Thanks for this car information because I probably wouldn't have read the fine print about mileage charges either.

~Nancy