Australia and New Zealand $$$

Seafan22

• 4 months later...

I have checked many cruise lines and selected NCL Spirit because for a 12 day cruise as it was the most port intensive cruise with less days at sea that covered both NZ and Australia.  That may not appeal to some, but it was our goal. Our other consideration was Viking Ocean cruise which was considerably higher with very limited onboard options/entertainment. (But, highly recommend Viking for River cruises.)

We leave Feb 2024 and just checked pricing again to find it is over $2K cheaper now than when we initially booked.  Since final payment was not due yet, they changed the pricing and kept our balcony room etc all the same.  Do I appreciate the pricing game....NO!  But as everything, money drives our world sadly.  Just was glad we double checked.  Would have been very upset otherwise. BTW, same with our airfare (so not just cruise lines).... $900.00 cheaper and now have air credit good for one year. 

As far as the age and size of the Spirit, I understand the refurbish was done nicely and smaller ships can navigate better into more ports than the larger ships. Even though we tend to be mega ship cruisers, I am looking forward to this cruise equally a much.  

• Like 1

@Seafan22

My plan is to do four days in Australia touring around, then take the cruise over to Auckland and then stay there for another three days.

Please don't think that you will see anything of Australia in 4 days or New Zealand in 3 days.   You will hardly get out of Sydney or Auckland.   If you want to VISIT Australia or New Zealand turn the DAYS into  WEEKS and then double them.

• Like 2

@sanger727

Australia is too large for it to be efficient to be seen by cruise. 

I agree totally but the Princess "Round Australia" cruise is a real starter to see so many places and then you decide where to go on a second and third visit..    It is a pity that NCL do not do the same thing.

That cruise gets booked out VERY quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Seafan22

My plan is to do four days in Australia touring around, then take the cruise over to Auckland and then stay there for another three days.

Please don't think that you will see anything of Australia in 4 days or New Zealand in 3 days.   You will hardly get out of Sydney or Auckland.   If you want to VISIT Australia or New Zealand turn the DAYS into  WEEKS and then double them.

Basically Australia is a coastal country, you can see a lot from a cruise ship, far more than in most European countries. The exception is Alice Springs and Uluru which most Australians haven't visited. The Alice was a unique place to spend time in - Uluru is a rock no disrespect. Enjoy your time down under it is a strange and wonderful place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@bluesea777

We did the ill-fated Dubai-Cape Town cruise before Covid hit on the Spirit and really enjoyed the ship, the passengers and the crew so are hoping for the same this time.   As long as the senior officers are different!!!!!!!

We were on the Spirit Rome to Dubai just before yours! Fantastic cruise.

Crew rotate but they love being on the Spirit so you'll have great time!

On 6/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, Seafan22 said:

On the NCL site the trip I hade been talking about has been pulled.  I talked to a consultant on line and they confirmed that it is no longer available. 

I am going to Princess for my trip.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, Seafan22 said:

On the NCL site the trip I hade been talking about has been pulled.  I talked to a consultant on line and they confirmed that it is no longer available.

It appears that NCL Spirit will do her last cruise from New Zealand to Australia at the end of season of 2024.  We are fortunate (at least so far) to still be able to go Feb/March 2024 with NCL Spirit.  And yes, the prices were originally high, but it was the only one that went to several ports in both places in the time frame we were interested in.  With that being said, our final payment is due this week and the price has been reduced twice since our original booking for a balcony room!!!  In total it is about 3K less.  They were very accommodating in make the adjustment both times.  It would have been more impressive if they would have notified us but obviously they are in it to make $$.  It pays to monitor your trips and pricing.  Airfare is cheaper now too and got a nice credit.  Whenever you go and cruise line you choose, have a super blessed trip! Cheers. 

On 6/14/2023 at 12:23 AM, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

I have the spirit booked for Australia and New Zealand January 2024,

Looks like your Australia and New Zealand in January 2024 will be a go.  It also looks like ours at the end of February will also be a go.  After that, it is my understanding that the Spirit will not be sailing those itineraries after March 2024.  Not sure if you have checked your pricing for your sail date in January, but we noticed ours for February 2024 have been reduced and we were able to get the lower rate and still keep our same balcony room extra.  Have a blessed sailing. 

16 minutes ago, Saberk9 said:

Looks like your Australia and New Zealand in January 2024 will be a go.  It also looks like ours at the end of February will also be a go.  After that, it is my understanding that the Spirit will not be sailing those itineraries after March 2024.  Not sure if you have checked your pricing for your sail date in January, but we noticed ours for February 2024 have been reduced and we were able to get the lower rate and still keep our same balcony room extra.  Have a blessed sailing. 

It looks like the Sun is taking over these cruises for 2024-2025.  An interesting variety of itineraries but high prices (for now anyway)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

It looks like the Sun is taking over these cruises for 2024-2025.  An interesting variety of itineraries but high prices (for now anyway)

The Sun was our first NCL cruise in 2015. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1