Killing Time Post-Cruise in Fort Lauderdale

PMGS247

Flight options are dictating that my wife and I will need to wait until 6:40pm to fly home after a cruise in November.  This is later than we'd like, but it is what it is....options to Pittsburgh are often limited.

The cruise line (Princess) offers their typical post cruise excursions, either to the everglades or Fort Lauderdale mansion tour via boat & las olas.  This is probably the direction we'll go if we don't come up with any better ideas, but both are designed for "flights 3pm or later", and appear to make their way to the airport by 12:45pm or so. 

The post cruise excursions are better than nothing, but if I could find a way to kill a little more time and get to the airport closer to the 3-5pm timeframe, I'd take it.  The toughest part is finding things to do without dragging the bags around all day...this is why the cruise line excursions are attractive...I just wish they had longer ones LOL

Go to LIKE Embassy Suites on 17th street and ask them to hold your bags, its like $5. They have a room for this and they will not ask if your staying there or not.  You can take a real short cab ride to the beach or just walk around for a few hours, grab lunch, ect. Get your bags at 3.00 and it is a 10 min ride to the airport. Any hotel will hold your bags as if you are staying there. We have done this several times in Lauderdale.

4 minutes ago, nhraformula00 said:

Go to LIKE Embassy Suites on 17th street and ask them to hold your bags, its like $5. They have a room for this and they will not ask if your staying there or not.  You can take a real short cab ride to the beach or just walk around for a few hours, grab lunch, ect. Get your bags at 3.00 and it is a 10 min ride to the airport. Any hotel will hold your bags as if you are staying there. We have done this several times in Lauderdale.

Good to know! I was aware of dropping bags at hotels that we're staying at, we do it all the time coming in a couple days ahead of the cruise, but I wasn't aware there were options for hotels we're NOT staying at.  DW doesn't want to stay an entire extra day, so we'll be going home that evening come hell or high water, just trying to make the most of the day and not drag the bags around.

I'll make a note of Embassy suites as an option for that.  Any hotel in the area there gets the job done.  Perhaps even the hotel we're staying at before the cruise would be willing to babysit our bags the day after.

Good food for thought.  Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

We're in a similar boat as you. Our flight leaves 6:09 pm, so not quite as bad.  We're doing the Everglades excursion (Carnival, though, but same thing I guess).  We figure we'll have a leisurely (early) dinner at the airport before boarding starts, so we're looking at a 2 hour gap.  Not too bad.  We'll find something to do.  

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We're in a similar boat as you. Our flight leaves 6:09 pm, so not quite as bad.  We're doing the Everglades excursion (Carnival, though, but same thing I guess).  We figure we'll have a leisurely (early) dinner at the airport before boarding starts, so we're looking at a 2 hour gap.  Not too bad.  We'll find something to do.  

yep I’ve spent enough time at Fort Lauderdale airport to know I want to find something else to do before I show up lol

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

yep I’ve spent enough time at Fort Lauderdale airport to know I want to find something else to do before I show up lol

After booking our flight months ago (at a great price) jet blue added a flight at 4:30ish. Changing it for 5 in advance is too much, but we may ask for a same day change once we arrive at FLL. But, we'd have to stop on the way home for a late dinner. With the 6:30 flight, we'd go straight home. Hard choice. 

www.resortpass.com will connect you to hotels/resorts offering day passes to their pool/spa/beach facilities. Tip them to store your bags while you swim, get pampered, relax and grab lunch/drinks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You might be able to use EZ Check luggage service from the ship. You talk to guest services for a form you fill out & if your airline participates & you meet the criteria then you put your bags out they are given to EZ Check who checks them in to the airline & you pick them up at your destination airport. The cost is supposed to be $25 per bag.  We have the same issue with a flight at 8pm.  Some hotels offer day use rooms also.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on how a Day-Room at a beach hotel worked for them?  Any opinions would be appreciated.  I was going to use ResortPass or Resortforaday, but really want a real room with air conditioning and a shower.  

Flight was just changed to 9PM departure.  Yeesh!

Scanditaly

On 6/23/2023 at 6:20 AM, happy42cruise said:

You might be able to use EZ Check luggage service from the ship. You talk to guest services for a form you fill out & if your airline participates & you meet the criteria then you put your bags out they are given to EZ Check who checks them in to the airline & you pick them up at your destination airport. The cost is supposed to be $25 per bag.  We have the same issue with a flight at 8pm.  Some hotels offer day use rooms also.

I just looked into EZ Check.  That may be an appealing option.  We did end up snagging a ResortPass for B Ocean Resort.  I'm sure they'll be happy to babysit our bags for the day but it might be even nicer to not have to deal with it at all.