Canadian Customs

lovecruzin

We’re cruising Alaska RT from Canada Place, do we need to go thru Canadian Customs screening upon disembarkation?

On our most recent cruise from Hawaii we stopped in Victoria before Vancouver and only had to complete the declaration form, there was no face to face. I’m trying to determine if I need to allow for additional time before we head off to YVR. Thanks 

20 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

We’re cruising Alaska RT from Canada Place, do we need to go thru Canadian Customs screening upon disembarkation?

On our most recent cruise from Hawaii we stopped in Victoria before Vancouver and only had to complete the declaration form, there was no face to face. I’m trying to determine if I need to allow for additional time before we head off to YVR. Thanks 

Like Victoria, the important bit (immigration) is done in advance of arrival, with pax manifest transmitted to CBSA. Since you were approve to enter Victoria last time, unless you've committed any crimes since last trip you should also be approved with no interview this time!

As to Customs - again, you'll get the form onboard. As a visitor heading straight to the airport, the odds of you owing any Customs Duty to Canada are virtually zero. Ship security already weeds out the commonest 'customs problems' for Americans - bringing food or guns or ammo without the requisite paperwork, carrying cases etc. so you're still super low risk.

I can't guarantee that you will not see CBSA at all, but the odds of you being asked more than "Length of visit?" and when you answer "As long as it takes to get to YVR" not then just being welcomed and waved through are very, very low. If you have "one of those faces" that gets extra hassle from law enforcement you'll already know that - but secondary questioning is far more common for Canadians whose declarations of value of purchases don't seem to add up rather than foreigners leaving same day!

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, lovecruzin said:

We disembarked in Vancouver yesterday.  We went self-assist.  From cabin to cab rank took five minutes, if that.  There were a number of officers collecting customs declaration cards so no line-ups and nobody checked passports.  I suspect that if you board in Vancouver you have already been admitted to Canada so why do it again?

2 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

We disembarked in Vancouver yesterday.  We went self-assist.  From cabin to cab rank took five minutes, if that.  There were a number of officers collecting customs declaration cards so no line-ups and nobody checked passports.  I suspect that if you board in Vancouver you have already been admitted to Canada so why do it again?

If boarding a cruise ship in Vancouver, you depart Canada before even boarding the vessel, so negative of already having been admitted to Canada.

The ship transmits the crew & pax manifests to Canada Border Services upon departure from the last US Port. The manifest has already been reviewed and they have identified anyone they wish to meet. Otherwise, upon disembarkation, it is random stop and question/search and also based on your declaration.

• Like 1