Excursions with a wheelchair

silversurf

We enquired about suitability of excursions when we were on board.,

We were informed that several were suitable. Perfectly flat, with no hills or steps.

yes they were, if you were walking, but with a wheelchair we encountered large cobbles and gravel which were impossible to negotiate.

More training is needed for Explore Ashore staff to advise those with mobility issues.

We usually found a way around, but it always took much longer.

My advice is to research ports yourself before you go.

Having said that we had a wonderful cruise on SoD. Great staff, food and service.

Must be very frustrating, but I suspect that Saga were only repeating what they had been told.

I have sailed with different lines and have been struck by how the same excursions are usually offered by them. I believe that the excursions themselves are designed by local firms who have the knowledge and connections, and are run by them for the cruise lines. The cruise lines have no detailed knowledge of the excursions other than what they have been told by the organisers.

Please give some feedback to Saga if you havent already. Our experience last year on SoA,  though dealing with a different disability, is that guest services and excursions staff were keen to learn and adapt. Ours concerned going ashore with fellow passengers who both had visual impairments.