Crotone review

Vineyard View

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

Vineyard View was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We just completed a wonderful trip that included Crotone as a port stop. The day we were there, it was a National work holiday, but we decided to take a walk and check it out. - One of the ‘highlights’ being a castle. My piece of advice would be to either take a ship excursion (which we try to steer clear from) , a private, or make it a ship day. The castle was in such neglect (they were still there to collect your entrance fee) that it was really sad. Weeds everyplace, graffiti, absolutely no effort made to make this what it could be. We walked through various streets to get to this ‘castle’ and found ourselves thinking, maybe it was a huge party the night prior with the holiday, and that is why so much litter was all around. We were on and off the ship in an hour and thoroughly enjoyed the ship that day, but this port was a disappointment. The excursions were all outside of the city, so I think that said something I should have paid attention to. 

For anyone going to Crotone, I would recommend visiting the nearby archaeological park which includes ruins of the Temple of Hera Lacinia. 

This area was settled by the Greeks way back before Rome was Rome, so the temple dates to the 5th century BC (its mythological founder was Hercules -- or Herakles to the Greeks). 

There is not much left of it now -- compared to the temples at Paestum, for example. Unfortunately most of its stones and columns were robbed in the 16th century to build an episcopal palace.  But it sits in a lovely position next to the sea:

image.png.4a1318d6375e3115bed9aa2c9a788b36.png

Some of the remaining finds from more recent archaeological excavations can be seen in the Archaeological Museum in the castle in Crotone.

The temple is mentioned often as an impressive structure by Roman writers. Cicero tells a story about Hannibal wanting to steal one of its "golden" columns, but Hera comes to him in a dream and threatens to put out his one remaining good eye if he desecrates it. 

Thanks for this information. Since it was a public holiday the day we were there, the  museum was closed at the castle. We were only able to take a short walk through the outside of it. I should have checked with you before on this!