Carnival and Royal Differences -- Inquiring Minds Want To Know

80sGal

On 6/25/2023 at 1:15 AM, Lane Hog said:

I don't think I've ever seen crew in a guest elevator on RCL.  I don't recall seeing them on Carnival either.

Crew have their own elevator banks.  That's also how the baggage gets from Deck 2 to the guest floors...

Maybe on Royal, but not on Carnival.  Some elevators will be marked "baggage express" (or similar) and will be in dedicated baggage delivery mode.   I think it was the midships elevator bank that was used; sensible if so, since it is probably the least-used of the three.  

On 6/28/2023 at 12:37 AM, Lane Hog said:

Yep, I've seen that on Carnival as well.  

Royal ships only have forward and mid elevator banks, even on the Oasis class.  Carnivals ships of comparable size to Royals have elevators forward, mid and aft.  

It may work out to the being the same physical number of elevators, but the perception is you spend less time walking between venues that are aft on Carnival than you do on Royal.  

It's not perception, it's reality.  If you have an aft cabin on a Royal ship, you WILL walk farther to get to anywhere aft on the ship.   

• Like 1

I've stayed as aft as on can go on Oasis class ships...the walk to the aft elevations wasn't as bad as I envisioned it would be. Two sets of 6 elevators fore and aft so 12 elevators fore and aft. Would it be nice if there were 3 sets of elevators? Yes.  But really it isn't that bad except after shows and such. 

• Like 1

One obvious difference is oasis class has actual musicals they pay royalties to perform. I assume only the big ships have large enough audiences to make it worth paying royalties.

I went to a behind the scenes tour where they said they pay royalties to do actual musicals. Not just excerpts of music as most ships do.