Day Trip Suggestions from Yokohama

FlaMariner

We've got 5 days in Japan after arriving on the Westerdam and we are basing ourselves in Yokohama.  We will have a Japan Rail Pass that we want to wear out.

So far, I'm thinking these day trips:

• Yokohama
  • Tokyo
  • Kyoto
  • Kanazawa

I need one more or do I need two days in Tokyo?  I'm thinking that passing Mt Fuji on the bullet train to Kyoto might suffice for Mt Fuji.  

Suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.........

- Kamakura

- Nara

- Nagano

- Tokyo is the largest city on earth. You could spend weeks there and still miss many amazing things.

If you are flying from Narita, your JR Pass is good for Narita Express.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I had planned, many times, to visit Kyoto as a follow on to a World Master Games event that never happened.  I could easily fill a week in Kyoto so that would be my choice.  Theatre ( Noh Kabuki and Puppets) , The Philosophers Path, the multiple temples and the Gion District just to start.  

From Yokohama to Kyoto will take at least 2 hours each way so it might be better to stay overnight to see some of the major sites there.  Mt Hakone is another area to see.

There are many tours from Tokyo (or Yokohama)  to Kyoto that include a stop at Mt. Hakone.  We took a bus from Tokyo to Hakone, stayed overnight, stopped at the 5th station (I'm pretty sure it was the 5th station) at Mt. Fuji (could not see anything because it was too cloudy), and then caught the bullet train to Kyoto. Stayed overnight in Kyoto (I would recommend two nights) and then took the train back to Tokyo (or in your case to Yokohama)

On 6/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, FlaMariner said:

So far, I'm thinking these day trips:

• Yokohama
  • Tokyo
  • Kyoto
  • Kanazawa

Adding Hakone.......

So our plan to wear out our Japan Rail Pass......(one way travel times by train)

Sunday:  Debark, check in to Yokohama hotel, tour Yokohama

Monday:  Kyoto (3 hour)

Tuesday:  Tokyo (30 minutes)

Wednesday:  Kanazawa (3 hour)

Thursday:  Hakone (40 minutes)

Friday:  Yokohama/5pm flight from Narita (1.5 hour)

I'd welcome comments on my plan especially regarding how to get the most out of our day in each city......(yes, I do know that I will not have much time in each place but this our chance to visit Japan and our plan is to make the most of it and rest once home!)

I always recommend that you plan to board the Shinkansen early in the morning - around 6am or so. Pick up one of the very nice O-bento boxes and the English version of Japan Times before you board. Have a nice O-bento breakfast and read the newspaper enroute,

In most cases, you will reach your destination before lunch time.

Next, have a nice lunch near the station.

Then do your sight-seeing and shopping through the afternoon.

Around 5 or 6 pm, catch the Shinkansen back to Yokohama.

In most cases you will be back in your hotel in time for dinner.

good advice.....I did see a YouTube video with the bento boxes......and to grab one in the station before boarding....

We are early risers and the early am train out works well for us......

I've also found the "Official Japanese Travel App" and it is a great source for train schedules and what to see/do/dine in each town.