Are taxis available when disembarking at end of cruise ?

MONKEY20

I am traveling to Southampton on the train and getting a taxi to Britannia at Ocean cruise terminal. Are taxis available at the end of the cruise to take us back to the station or will I have to prebook one?

Ian

There will be some outside when you leave the ship. Or you can order an uber when you are ready and they will collect you from the prebooked taxi line

Edited by Cathygh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MONKEY20 said:

I am traveling to Southampton on the train and getting a taxi to Britannia at Ocean cruise terminal. Are taxis available at the end of the cruise to take us back to the station or will I have to prebook one?

Ian

Hi Ian, 

They are available. Depends on demand in the town to how quickly you will get one, especially if there are multiple ships in, but they are constant. 

Prebooking is a bit difficult as you never really know how quick you will collect your luggage etc. 

Have a great cruise. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

Queue was probably 15 mins when we got off Iona in May (with 5300 guests on board). It certainly wasn't a horrendous queue. Maybe 100 to 150 people but taxis stacked well back moving them quickly

One tip I would have is that if anyone is being picked up by friends or family and are capable of walking a short amount

Consider wheeling your case 250 meters approx to outside the terminal entrance. This way you will avoid being caught in the one way traffic that is very very slow at pick up time inside the terminal drop off area. That itself could take you 15 minutes to come out from.

In our instance I walked to fetch our car from Premier Inn Car park then drove back in and wasted 15 mins getting back out of the terminal as the traffic at the drop off points is pretty much gridlocked at disembarkation time. Also had to queue a bit to get a pick up parking spot

We should have both wheeled our cases out in retrospect rather than my wife waiting inside with both cases 

The queue coming out of the terminal as you collect your cases was also slow

It's quick to locate your case it's slow to be able to walk out with it

Would be hard to judge exactly when to have your taxi waiting for you

So would probably just join their taxi queue. It's a managed queues with queuing barriers etc. Quite civilised and well organised. Someone actually tried to guide us into it not realising we were just looking for somewhere to park the cases whilst I fetched the car

Premier inn parking at 5 pounds per night was a 10 minute walk from the terminal without cases. Nearer 20 minutes with cases when we arrived. Would use it again but would drop wife off with both cases at one of the pubs/restaurants nearby then walk the cases in together. Just to avoid the traffic inside (it's just behind the Carnival Head Office)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

In all honesty queues are talked about so much on Arvia and Iona but the only physical queues we have faced on 2 cruises are for embarking and disembarking

Both times far preferable queues and waits you face getting in and out of airports

(Plus Limelight - a queue we would avoid in the future (out of principle) by turning up later). I'm not into queuing. Turned down a 5 minute queue for fish and chips in the quays one day to have chicken katsu instead!  Lol

My policy is if I see a queue. Come back another time or walk the opposite direction and do something else instead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Premier inn parking at 5 pounds per night was a 10 minute walk from the terminal without cases. Nearer 20 minutes with cases when we arrived. Would use it again but would drop wife off with both cases at one of the pubs/restaurants nearby then walk the cases in together. Just to avoid the traffic inside (it's just behind the Carnival Head Office)

Just for anyone not used to the area ,the car park is West Quay Multi park and not owned 

by Premier Inn, so you don't have to be staying with them .

Very good car park and as you describe it's nestled between Carnival and the Moxy hotel . 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9016214,-1.408835,3a,75y,274.69h,108.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFzpzVJVwsex-bUg0_OkdcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Just for anyone not used to the area ,the car park is West Quay Multi park and not owned 

by Premier Inn, so you don't have to be staying with them .

Very good car park and as you describe it's nestled between Carnival and the Moxy hotel . 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9016214,-1.408835,3a,75y,274.69h,108.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFzpzVJVwsex-bUg0_OkdcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

That's the one

Moxy Hotel is the perfect place to get taxi transfers in and out from if you don't want to walk like we did

3 to 4 mins drive in a taxi

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's the one

Moxy Hotel is the perfect place to get taxi transfers in and out from if you don't want to walk like we did

3 to 4 mins drive in a taxi

Also just walk past the Premier Inns front entrance and there's a small Co-Op shop 

for any bits & bobs / snacks for staying in these hotels or to take to the port with you .

• Like 1