LIVE / Sky Princess / June 17th / Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 14 Day Cruise

Jeter02

Today we visited Trondheim, and I have to say it has stolen my heart ❤️ First off I have to say how truly blessed we are the sailing, so far as the weather has been absolutely gorgeous everyday. This comes after every day with the weather reporting 100% chance of rain at all the ports we've stopped at thus far. Fair warning it has been pretty warm and very humid everyday, which is okay, because after I venture out I always come back and go straight swimming to cool down.

We arrived this morning around 8:30 a.m.  I love that we were docked in walking distance to this absolutely beautiful city. I had my breakfast nice and early, decided to treat myself to some delicious banana pancakes in the dining room to fuel my day of adventure.

If you haven't learned from me yet I don't really book tours as I'm one who likes to meander around and find things on my own. I want to say I spent about 3 hours or so walking around town. I stopped at the cathedral which was absolutely stunning with the architecture with all the carvings just simply magnificent. Because I'm first off the ship I don't have to deal with loads of people ruining my gorgeous pictures with these tour groups pulling up one after another.

I continued my walk over to Bakklandt, which is where they have their postcard most scenic area of Trondheim with the old bridge and quaint little town with a beautiful different colored homes and buildings. I spent a lot of time just walking around this area as it was just simply breathtaking.

I made a turn uphill which was nice and steep, as that seems to be every occurring thing here in Norway. I walked my way all the way up to the fortress which had breathtaking views of all of Trondheim and you can see the water and wear the ship is docked. What's on top of this amazing viewpoint area the weather was beautiful with a great breeze which just gave you time to just breathe in that fresh air and be appreciative of being able to experience this.

I continued to walk around town as there's a lot of wonderful restaurants around. I personally love that this particular protocol did not feel touristy at all where you have random shops galore for souvenirs all around this just felt like a place I would personally come back to visit again as you felt like you were one of the locals.

It was time to head back to the ship to cool down and jump right into that pool and just soak and relax. I did do my daily lunch at Alfredo's which I ordered my go-to salad along with the eggplant rolllada today. I even treated myself to the apple tort which is always one of my favorites.

Dinner had an amazing menu I opted for the pineapple starter, chicken kiev for the entree which was phenomenal and The sugar-free coffee mousse cake which was quite tasty. I did meet a lovely lady who said at the table next to me as we sharing and exchanging stories on how great it is to travel as a solo girl and being able to do things free spiritually and just simply enjoying ourselves. She mentioned how she is planning on doing a 3-year world cruise which I thought was absolutely fascinating. So my PSA to everyone out there who is too nervous or scared to try to travel solo, I've been doing it for years and honestly if you sat and wait for someone to join you you'll be missing out on all the great things there are to see and do. Cruising is an excellent place to do this, And just think about all the amazing people you get to meet along the way.

Tonight for Showtime I caught Jenny Williams who was a fantastic singer with a great voice. In between songs when she would talk a little bit She was adorable and funny and I can't wait to catch her show later on during the cruise. She said her second show that she'll be putting on in a few days time will be all passenger requests which I'm excited for.

We had our white and gold theme nights along with our love boat Piazza party which is always fun to attend. Lots of great things going on around the ship this evening.

Tomorrow we have a relaxing day at sea.

20230621_091322-01-01.jpeg

20230621_092244-01.jpeg

20230621_100901-01.jpeg

20230621_101834-01.jpeg

20230621_104507-01-04.jpeg

20230621_114408.jpg

20230621_115550.jpg

20230621_173003.jpg

20230621_173000.jpg

20230621_183952.jpg

20230621_174459.jpg

20230621_181748.jpg

20230621_184755.jpg

20230621_200401.jpg

20230620_204940.jpg

20230620_204946.jpg

• Like 10

Jeter02

I wonder what the status is of the current Sky Princess Production cast?

We were on the previous cruise and in two weeks they were only able to do one full show with their cast and a patched together version of Five Skies after one of their main singers had to leave the ship due to a medical emergency. The Five Skies show was on June 11th and so far it doesn't look like they've done a full show on your cruise yet.

Edited by BURNSMN
spelling

3 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

Jeter02

I wonder what the status is of the current Sky Princess Production cast?

We were on the previous cruise and in two weeks they were only able to do one full show with their cast and a patched together version of Five Skies after one of their main singers had to leave the ship due to a medical emergency. The Five Skies show was on June 11th and so far it doesn't look like they've done a full show on your cruise yet.

Thus far they've only done the Jim Henson Sillness Show. They're supposed to be doing Five Skies this Friday, and Rock Opera on the last formal night towards The end of the cruise next week. We've had guest entertainers during this first week performing. Of entertainment/shows are always subjective The comedians really haven't done anything for me but the singers and the vocal groups have been Ah-mazing! I will definitely keep you posted on the production shows.

5 hours ago, AmesOhana said:

Looking forward to our time next year over Summer Solstice on the Sky in Norway and the Arctic Circle. 

I think you're going to love it and I hope you do as much as I am! 

5 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

Your photos are wonderful and make me want to do this cruise!! Thank you for taking the time to share your trip with us.

Awe. You're very welcome! It definitely has been an appreciative way to reflect at the end of the day on how grateful I am to be here doing this cruise with such an amazing itinerary. I'm not one to ever buy souvenirs when traveling, as taking scenic photos are worth a million smiles to me. I like taking my collection of travel photos and create an oversized published photo book for the coffee table at home. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

I am really enjoying your travel diary. The photos are tempting us to look at this cruise for next year as a break from the Med.

Enjoy.

I'm so happy to hear I'm able to inspire you on new adventures. Living in Florida I always try to escape to cooler temperatures when it comes to summer. Grant you it hasn't been as cool temperature wise as I had anticipated on this trip so far, but still absolutely gorgeous! 

Have enjoyed reading about your trip. Since you are traveling solo, have you been dining alone in the MDR or sitting with others. I'll be traveling solo on the Regal in October and wasn't sure how it is to dine solo in the MDR. I'm not sure if I will always want to sit with others but don't want to eat in the Lido all the time either. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vjblk said:

Have enjoyed reading about your trip. Since you are traveling solo, have you been dining alone in the MDR or sitting with others. I'll be traveling solo on the Regal in October and wasn't sure how it is to dine solo in the MDR. I'm not sure if I will always want to sit with others but don't want to eat in the Lido all the time either. Thanks.

So what I always do whether I have my dad traveling with me, but also when I'm traveling solo... regardless I always get a private table for two, and sit quietly by myself.

The way Princess does it in the dining room I absolutely love the setup of the long booths they have setup in a row with just tables of two. That way when I'm dining I don't have to worry about others to join me before I can put my order in, and I also don't have to worry about the fear of sitting with others that do not interest me.

When sitting at my private table for two I do talk to those sitting on either or side of me and have good conversation that way and I've always had lovely people 99.9% of the time who are delightful to talk to. So essentially you're sitting by yourself but you're really not because you'll have people surrounding you that you can talk with if you choose to do so or not. Great thing about a cruise is you can decide how introverted or extroverted you would like to be.

Just as a note I never ever eat up in the buffet and I hope you don't have to feel like if you want to die alone that that is where you need to eat. I always use the dining room simply because I like being pampered, and I love having the same table and waiter each and every night as I get to know the crew that way. Then sometimes people at the surrounding tables, not always will also request their same table for each night of the cruise so you start to build up friendships that way as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

So what I always do whether I have my dad traveling with me, but also when I'm traveling solo... regardless I always get a private table for two, and sit quietly by myself.

The way Princess does it in the dining room I absolutely love the setup of the long booths they have setup in a row with just tables of two. That way when I'm dining I don't have to worry about others to join me before I can put my order in, and I also don't have to worry about the fear of sitting with others that do not interest me.

When sitting at my private table for two I do talk to those sitting on either or side of me and have good conversation that way and I've always had lovely people 99.9% of the time who are delightful to talk to. So essentially you're sitting by yourself but you're really not because you'll have people surrounding you that you can talk with if you choose to do so or not. Great thing about a cruise is you can decide how introverted or extroverted you would like to be.

Just as a note I never ever eat up in the buffet and I hope you don't have to feel like if you want to die alone that that is where you need to eat. I always use the dining room simply because I like being pampered, and I love having the same table and waiter each and every night as I get to know the crew that way. Then sometimes people at the surrounding tables, not always will also request their same table for each night of the cruise so you start to build up friendships that way as well.

That's good to know. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm so happy to hear I'm able to inspire you on new adventures. Living in Florida I always try to escape to cooler temperatures when it comes to summer. Grant you it hasn't been as cool temperature wise as I had anticipated on this trip so far, but still absolutely gorgeous! 

We couldn't agree more.....also from Fla and feels like temps this week above 100. You may see " cool cruiser " on our account. At our age we are not exactly " cool" at all but love sailing to the cooler destinations. So looking forward to Norway in August !!! 

• Like 2

Hi Sky Princess mates!  I have signed up for North Cape Quad Bike Safari (ATV) tour in Honningsvag for 11AM on June 23 via (non Princess) Destinasjon 71.  Super exciting tour (check it out) but it requires two peeps and 2nd peep has backed out.  Have already prepaid & 2nd spot now available for $282USD.  Pls contact me ladyskidiva@gmail.com ASAP
if interested to join me on this fun excursion to North Cape with stunning views.  Lynn

Following. We'll be doing this cruise at the same time next year with a slight variation of ports. Love your pix of Tronheim and can't wait to see it for myself next June. I know you don't use ship excursions, but do you have any idea when they had been released for your cruise? They still haven't been posted for ours which seems odd. TIA. Keep up the great work. I can NOT wait for this trip!!

On 6/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve never seen a list of the buffet’s daily menu specials…great idea! 😊

IMG_6750.jpeg

One thing to check out for sure on this cruise is the Pastry Extravaganza on June 29th.This was the first year we have seen them in the World Marketplace.The chefs briing out a row of fresh cakes and sliced them for you individually as you go through the line. Worth going to even if you only want dessert. But beware, they start running out of the cakes around 1:30.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BURNSMN said:

One thing to check out for sure on this cruise is the Pastry Extravaganza on June 29th.This was the first year we have seen them in the World Marketplace.The chefs briing out a row of fresh cakes and sliced them for you individually as you go through the line. Worth going to even if you only want dessert. But beware, they start running out of the cakes around 1:30.

Correct all those delicious cakes come in rolling out. I usually like to go early and take some pictures of it just looking at it fills me up. I'm really good with eating with my eyes. 

18 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Following. We'll be doing this cruise at the same time next year with a slight variation of ports. Love your pix of Tronheim and can't wait to see it for myself next June. I know you don't use ship excursions, but do you have any idea when they had been released for your cruise? They still haven't been posted for ours which seems odd. TIA. Keep up the great work. I can NOT wait for this trip!!

I'm so excited for you! Typically would ship excursions I feel like if it's a year out in advance it's still too far out I would say possibly maybe at the 9-month mark? I don't remember when they were readily available but I am one who always checks the app or the cruise personalizer for one things to become available to passengers. Just keep your eye open just think of it as a Christmas gift every time you try to click on excursions to see if anything is there. Eventually something has to pop up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

They had them on first sailing of Sky in 2019.  Yumm!

Today I had a very quiet and relaxing day at sea. Lots of activities going on around the ship.

At the most delicious and fluffiest blueberry pancakes with an Alaskan scrambler simply just scrambled eggs with some smoked salmon in it. Lunch today was held in the main dining room and I know I ordered a starter which I typically don't like to do during lunch because it's so filling but I figured hey why not. I started out with a chimichanga followed by the nori garang. They both wear absolutely delicious and very flavorful.

I did catch halfway through of the first contestant of Deal or No Deal, and it was beyond exciting. I felt like I was watching a sporting event as the man who was risking the briefcases won the $1,000 prize. It was definitely a fun watch.

Tonight was a formal night and I had an absolutely delicious dinner ate lightly to start with with a Caesar salad but the seafood antipasta salad looked divine kind of wish I did order it but I know there was no room in the belly. And then I opted for the seafood and scallop on tray but I did ask him to discard the scallops and just give me extra shrimp. Super yummy of a dinner finished up with a delectable piece of tiramisu.

Tonight's Showtime entertainment included vocalist Rob Houchen, Home has performed on Westend Les Mis. He did a really lovely job and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him. The vocalist on this particular cruise has been hitting the ball out of the ballpark with such great talent.

I later than went to catch a little bit of the marriage match game show along with the beginning of karaoke wars later on in the evening. Later than I typically stay up to but with the land of the midnight sun shining so bright, it almost feels like Early in the morning or very early afternoon giving me loads more energy than typical.

Tomorrow we will be docking in Honningsvag, where many people will be visiting North Cape.

20230622_224312.jpg

20230622_224320.jpg

20230622_075304.jpg

20230622_115114.jpg

20230622_115119.jpg

20230622_121252.jpg

20230622_122050.jpg

20230622_172629.jpg

20230622_172633.jpg

20230622_174906.jpg

20230622_181743.jpg

20230622_184450.jpg

20230622_200806.jpg

20230622_220320.jpg

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, gah_cruise said:

Which restaurant did you dine in? Your tiramisu looks much better presented than ours was.

This is from the Estrella main dining room. Besides looking fantastic It tasted it extra yummy as well.