Prima Galveston Drink Package First Day

Sparky 79

Forgive me if this was asked and answered already. I did search but couldn’t find anything. My search skills might not be strong. 🙂

We are going on the Prima this December (2023) out of Galveston. Does anyone have any info on how the drink package is going to work on the first day?  The internet doesn’t seem to have too much info on this and I was hoping someone hear might have heard some inside info from someone. 

I know the selection until we reach international waters is limited due to the Texas law requiring only the use of alcohol purchased and taxed from a Texas resaler. But will the FAS drink package be honored for the “Texas” alcohol?  I know Carnival doesn’t honor their package but Royal does. 

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Selection will be limited, they will honor the FAS drink package, but they will charge you the taxes on every drink, until out a few miles from the port. Its not much, about a dollar per drink. You are on vacation, enjoy.

Actually the state of Texas demands that all liqueur served in the state - including its waters - be sold and taxed by the state. NCL as well as other cruise lines close down all but one or two bars until they reach international waters. These bars serve the state taxed liqueur and pass the tax onto pax.

10 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

Actually the state of Texas demands that all liqueur served in the state - including its waters - be sold and taxed by the state. NCL as well as other cruise lines close down all but one or two bars until they reach international waters. These bars serve the state taxed liqueur and pass the tax onto pax.

I've never seen bars closed due to this. Just that they only sell approved beer/liquor during this time. As soon as the ship is out of state waters, that gets packed up and the regular stuff comes out.

Yes the sate of Texas does charge taxes on the liquor served in port. Will be on the Prima December15,2023.  Have taken many Carnival cruises from Galveston & their drink package does not start till day 2, you pay the full drink price, that is on Carnival not the sate of Texas. On the Royal Carribean we took in January they just charged the tax part. When we went out of New Orleans in April NCL just charged the taxes.

How is Texas different than other ports in regards to having to pay drink tax until entering international waters?  Is it a bigger tax than say NOLA or NYC or Seattle?  Or is it just a difference in limiting of selection and if so how limited is it?

We are used to paying a small tax per drink at the other above mentioned ports but if I recall correctly never had a problem getting what we would normally order.  Trying to get my head around what to expect.  

Thanks

17 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I have sailed plenty of cruises out of Galveston and have never seen the cruise line close down bars.  They all keep the regular alcohol locked up and just have a limited amount of alcohol available for sale.  Each cruise line treats the rules different.  Royal eats the additional sales tax and also allows you to use your drink package on the first day.  Carnival charges the sales tax and does not allow you to use the drink package day one.  NCL has only had the one Prima sailing so I don't think we can say what they are going to do but I would assume charge the sales tax and allow the drink package to be used since they charge gratuities for all 7 days.  

my understanding is that, while in texas, there is indeed a more limited range of available liquor onboard, as the liquor they sell has to have been acquired/purchased in texas. so there are two things going on... the requirement to use "texas" liquor for all liquor sales and the taxation issue.

3 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

How is Texas different than other ports in regards to having to pay drink tax until entering international waters?  Is it a bigger tax than say NOLA or NYC or Seattle?  Or is it just a difference in limiting of selection and if so how limited is it?

We are used to paying a small tax per drink at the other above mentioned ports but if I recall correctly never had a problem getting what we would normally order.  Trying to get my head around what to expect.  

Thanks

Nothing in terms of paying sales tax.  The difference is that Texas forces the cruise lines to sell liquor from Texas distributors.  Since they can't get the lower prices they get with their contracted distributors, they limit the brands that they sell while in Texas waters.  They will usually have 1 mid-tier brand for each type of liquor.  

• Like 1

A rate of 8.25% is imposed on each alcoholic beverage sold, prepared, or served by "a permittee."

The above rate is taxed until the ship has reached international waters (and NCL can then bring our their usual supply)!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Nothing in terms of paying sales tax.  The difference is that Texas forces the cruise lines to sell liquor from Texas distributors.  Since they can't get the lower prices they get with their contracted distributors, they limit the brands that they sell while in Texas waters.  They will usually have 1 mid-tier brand for each type of liquor.  

How about beer and wine?  I am assuming selection will be limited as well?  Beer of choice Mic Ultra.  Any idea if it will be available before hitting international waters?

2 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

How about beer and wine?  I am assuming selection will be limited as well?  Beer of choice Mic Ultra.  Any idea if it will be available before hitting international waters?

I'm not a beer drinker, usually, so I can't help with your question about Mic Ultra, but selections are somewhat limited why docked.  But, they get everything moving normally, as quickly as they possibly can, once they hit the right distance!  We were on the PRIMA last Fall out of Galveston.  Somehow, we were only charged the taxes on our first two drinks. Yet, I know we enjoyed more than those two!!!

• Like 1