Rhodes - Lindos without Excursion?

goldie099

Hi all,

I'm sailing soon on Celebrity Infinity around the Greek Isles, and I am wondering how feasible it is to tackle Rhodes independently. We usually like to do our own thing and visit the sites without an excursion. We'd like to explore the Old Town - not worried about doing this solo as I've read we dock very close by. In terms of Lindos and the Acropolis, how accessible is that from the port area or old town for transportation to and from? Are there tours available at the port, taxis, or are we better off pre-booking something? 

It's been a few years now, but there was a bus that runs regularly between Rhodes and Lindos. Maybe ask on TripAdvisor for someone who's been more recently for details. I'm sure it still runs, I just no longer have the info such as bus number and where to pick it up.

Be aware that walking up to the Acropolis in Lindos is very steep and does take some time. If you just want to wander around the pretty town of Lindos, half a day is sufficient. 

I know that sometimes I can sound like a broken record, but my suggestion is rent a car.  Driving around Rhodes is not difficult (once outside of Rhodes Town) and the only problem we have ever had is trying to park at Lindos.  Avoid Lindos, and it is easy peasy.  There are some local rental car companies that have cars right at the port (very convenient).  It is a large island so you should have some kind of game plan for the day.  The last time we were on Rhodes (Aug 2021) we did rent a car and just explored parts of the island we had never seen on previous trips.  We eventually found ourselves at a beach (located somewhere along the coast between Rhodes Town and Lindos) where we rented sunbeds for a few hours (it was a hot and gorgeous day).

We will echo Cruisemom's post about the long (and sometimes steep) walk up to Lindos.  Lindos has really become a victim of overtourism, has been overly commercialized, and is a darn shame.  It would not surprise me to return to Lindos and find camel rides, bungee jumps, etc.  If they add a ferris wheel they could even compete with Lands End (England) for the tackiest tourist trap in Europe.

Hank

On 6/16/2023 at 3:08 AM, goldie099 said:

Hi all,

I'm sailing soon on Celebrity Infinity around the Greek Isles, and I am wondering how feasible it is to tackle Rhodes independently. We usually like to do our own thing and visit the sites without an excursion. We'd like to explore the Old Town - not worried about doing this solo as I've read we dock very close by. In terms of Lindos and the Acropolis, how accessible is that from the port area or old town for transportation to and from? Are there tours available at the port, taxis, or are we better off pre-booking something? 

We visited Lindos on our second visit to Rhodes.  (First time we explored Rhodes Town)Shared a taxi with two others from our ship and picked it up a short walk away from the port at the square in town where many of them wait for fares.  I think I remember  it was a fixed price with a list showing fares to different locations.  Coming back we had arranged to meet again and  picked one up in the Main Square Lindos as the town itself  is  pedestrianised. We had to wait a few minutes for a taxi as they were in demand and it was busy.

We didn't venture up to the Acropolis as it is a very steep hill and it was a really hot day.  Enjoyed walking around town despite the crowds but fewer folks would have suited us better.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1