Seasonal Australian Fruit - Last weeks of January

We'll be cruising up the coast from Sydney to Port Douglas (and back) in the last two weeks of January 2024.  I'm really hoping to try lots of fresh yummy Australian fruit - particularly tropical fruits.   What can I expect to be available at that time of year?  Do the supermarkets have a good range available?  Lastly, can we take store bought fruit back on-board?

That time of Summer is best for stone fruit: peaches, plums, nectarines primarily. The standout then, especially as you go North, is mangoes. Strawberries are usually also plentiful at that time. While supermarkets carry all of this range, I usually find the best product and price is at stalls or fruit shops - but then you have to know the places to go to.

There's usually no problem taking fruit onboard, although I've never tried with more than a piece or two. However, you won't be able to take it back off the ship, even if you bought it ashore so don't take more than you'll consume onboard.

• Thanks 1

If you are spending time in Cairns, take a trip out to the Botanical Gardens. There are many exotic tropical fruit trees that may be bursting with fresh bounty.

There are also towns north of Brisbane that have streets lined with mango trees as part of their urban landscaping. As a kid I loved being up there in January

• Thanks 1