What to pack for an Alaska cruise in July?

Esilef

My father and brother are coming to Vancouver in July this year for a cruise to Alaska after spending time in Canada. We live in Melbourne Australia where it doesn’t get that cold in winter.

what type of things do you recommend they pack? I’m thinking they will need jeans, duck down jackets and layers, plus minimal summer clothes like light pants, a couple of pairs of shorts and T-shirts.

thanks in advance 

Since I have experienced temps as high as 90 F in Alaska during the summer, I normally take mostly shorts and polo shirts. Long trousers for dinner. Since it can rain, I also bring a rain jacket and a brolly.

Don't forget, in July it's summer time in Alaska.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esilef said:

My father and brother are coming to Vancouver in July this year for a cruise to Alaska after spending time in Canada. We live in Melbourne Australia where it doesn’t get that cold in winter.

what type of things do you recommend they pack? I’m thinking they will need jeans, duck down jackets and layers, plus minimal summer clothes like light pants, a couple of pairs of shorts and T-shirts.

thanks in advance 

It also doesn't get cold in Alaskan summers!

Not knowing their exact route and dates, how generally 'hot or cold' they run personally, and with the Interior of Alaska differing in climate from the SE coastal bits that RT cruises tend to focus on, I can't say what they need - but I can point you to a site that will let you figure it out for yourself (or rather, make THEM do it since it's your dad & bro who are coming!) If it's only an RT Vancouver cruise, then clothes that work for here plus one extra layer (for glacier days, or standing on deck when ship is moving fast as that adds extra windchill)

Compare climate stats for each port at the time they're visiting to your own home area to get an idea what range of temps they need to handle, it should be easy enough to figure out then what they already own that will work (e.g. Juneau in July and August runs a smidgen warmer than Melbourne - what ever they'd wear in July at home therefore isn't far off the mark!)

Several light layers that add up to 'warm enough' are much more flexible than one thick coat though - everywhere in the PNW has very variable weather daily, so a THIN but waterproof coat is best. Wet but warm? Just wear that over a T-shirt. Windy too? Add a layer between.

Unless they have lots of suitcase space and tend to get chilly easily, any kind of insulated coat is probably a bad idea - long-term trend predictions are for a hotter and drier summer across the region than the last few years. If it turns out they don't have quite enough layers, it's easy to buy a souvenir shirt or fleece in port - probably less annoying than packing a big fat coat all the way from Oz to never wear it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is that it doesn't matter whether sailing in May, June, or July (and even into August!) the weather is variable and can change by the day as well as by the hour.  A 20 C temp variation is not unusual!

Bring items that you can layer and remove/don as needed. For instance, wind typically makes the temperature feel colder, so a t-shirt with jumper or windbreaker jacket could be fine. Throw in some mist or drizzle and you will need that fleece as well. The good news is things change quickly, so the worst weather likely won't stick around and you'll be removing the fleece and jumper in no time! 

hubbard6.jpg

DSC_9153.JPG