Trying to find the right trip insurance - spoke to and got quotes from TIS

Firehunter

Thank you to those advising to speak with TIS directly and not just plug in info into their website. I spoke with them earlier today and they sent me two policy quotes. We were told we need two policies, because my MIL has a different permanent address. We were given quotes from TravelSafe Classic for us and IMG (iTravelInsured Travel) SE for her. Both are underwritten by US Fire Insurance Company.

We will be within the timeline for pre-existing conditions to be covered (21 and 20 days after initial deposit). They both provide good medical and med evac coverage, 100k and 1M and 250k and 500k. Also very happy they both include trip cancellation due to hurricanes, a big concern for us living on the gulf coast and summer trips during hurricane season:

IMG SE - "Your Scheduled Trip Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning or hurricane watch as issued by the NOAA Hurricane Center within twenty-four (24) hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date. Cancellation of Your Trip must occur more than fourteen (14) days following Your Effective Date of coverage for Trip Cancellation;"

TravelSafe Classic - "Your Scheduled Trip Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning as issued by the NOAA Hurricane Center within 36 hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date. Cancellation of Your Trip must occur more than 14 days following Your Effective Date of coverage for Trip Cancellation;"

TIS says neither of these require us to insure all non-refundable trip costs, so we don't have to include airfare. They also said that we would put the total cost of the trip in now for the premium and not just the deposit we paid, so no adding the rest later when we pay it.

Anything else I should look out for?

Edited by Firehunter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firehunter said:

Thank you to those advising to speak with TIS directly and not just plug in info into their website. I spoke with them earlier today and they sent me two policy quotes. We were told we need two policies, because my MIL has a different permanent address. We were given quotes from TravelSafe Classic for us and IMG (iTravelInsured Travel) SE for her. Both are underwritten by US Fire Insurance Company.

We will be within the timeline for pre-existing conditions to be covered (21 and 20 days after initial deposit). They both provide good medical and med evac coverage, 100k and 1M and 250k and 500k. Also very happy they both include trip cancellation due to hurricanes, a big concern for us living on the gulf coast and summer trips during hurricane season:

IMG SE - "Your Scheduled Trip Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning or hurricane watch as issued by the NOAA Hurricane Center within twenty-four (24) hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date. Cancellation of Your Trip must occur more than fourteen (14) days following Your Effective Date of coverage for Trip Cancellation;"

TravelSafe Classic - "Your Scheduled Trip Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning as issued by the NOAA Hurricane Center within 36 hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date. Cancellation of Your Trip must occur more than 14 days following Your Effective Date of coverage for Trip Cancellation;"

TIS says neither of these require us to insure all non-refundable trip costs, so we don't have to include airfare. They also said that we would put the total cost of the trip in now for the premium and not just the deposit we paid and the rest later when we pay it.

Anything else I should look out for?

Quite possibly, once you have made final payment, having a great sailing!!!

p.s. I recommend that you read the policy in full before the sailing.... that way you will know exactly what the policy does and does not cover.

Especially if you are happy with the quote and sailing you are taking...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

27 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Quite possibly, once you have made final payment, having a great sailing!!!

p.s. I recommend that you read the policy in full before the sailing.... that way you will know exactly what the policy does and does not cover.

Especially if you are happy with the quote and sailing you are taking...

bon voyage

Thank you. Most definitely reading the policy before I choose. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Firehunter said:

Thank you. Most definitely reading the policy before I choose. 🙂

And please, never hesitate to call TIS with any questions, concerns or other such...

bon voyage

• Like 1