Frederiksborg Castle or Viking Ship Museum?

evoni

For anyone who has traveled and seen Frederiksborg Castle and the Viking Ship Museum outside of Copenhagen, if you only had time to visit one which would you go to and why?

We're on the Constellation's Baltic cruise departing on June 17th and the ship this year doesn't arrive in Copenhagen until 12:30pm and since both Federiksborg Castle and the Viking Ship Museum close at 5pm, I'm thinking we have time for only one. I'm currently planing on buying the Copenhagen Card in advance and taking the train to one of the above locations. Any thoughts on the card and the train service would also be helpful. Is the train station far from where the Constellation docks in Copenhagen?

Diana

For anyone who has traveled and seen Frederiksborg Castle and the Viking Ship Museum outside of Copenhagen, if you only had time to visit one which would you go to and why?

We're on the Constellation's Baltic cruise departing on June 17th and the ship this year doesn't arrive in Copenhagen until 12:30pm and since both Federiksborg Castle and the Viking Ship Museum close at 5pm, I'm thinking we have time for only one. I'm currently planing on buying the Copenhagen Card in advance and taking the train to one of the above locations. Any thoughts on the card and the train service would also be helpful. Is the train station far from where the Constellation docks in Copenhagen?

Diana

Hi Diana,

I used to live in Denmark as an exchange student, in the Copenhagen area, and have been to both places many times. I was also at both places last summer before a Baltic cruise I took myself. Personally, I love Frederiskborg castle. It's a beautiful castle sitting on a lake. You could spend about an hour to an hour and a half here as a minimum, and longer if you wish. Plus, you can walk around the town of Hillerod too. The viking museum in Roskilde has about 5 partially restored viking ships that were purpously sunk and discovered in the Roskilde Fjord. Also in Roskilde, there is a big cathedral, all brick, and contains all the buried Danish monichary. You can access both cities by train. If you had a full day, you might be able to do both, pending your schedule. If you visit the viking museum, make sure to take a tour guided in english. The tour only last about 30 min.

I think I purchased a card too, in fact, I know I did. But you need to find out first what you want to see and that the card provides, and compare that with the cost of the attractions vs. the card to see if you come out ahead. However, it is convenient with the transportation included. You may want to check to see if the card provides access to Frederiksborg, I may be wrong, but I seem to remember paying for admittance there.

Another option that can be done in a day by train is to do Hillerod, and then Helsingor to tour Kronborg castle too, then take the train back to Copenhagen.

Over all, I'd prefer Frederiksborg.

There is a posting on this message board titled Wonderful Copenhagen. See if you can look it up. I posted a ton of information there last year, and there are also other good postings about Frederiksborg on this site too.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information and also bumping that previous thread up for review, it's appreciated!

We are considering eating dinner at Nimb in Tivoli Gardens. Did you ever eat there and if so, what did you think of it? Are there other restaurants in Tivoli worth eating at that we should consider instead?

I think we will go to Frederiskborg castle. When I review the site that has information on the Copenhagen card it seems to be included for free admission. I've gone to the site where one can imput information for departure and arrival cities for the trains but I'm not sure what station is closest to where the Constellation docks, will try to figure that out before we arrive there.

I wish we docked in Copenhagen earlier so we could do both. My 17 year old son is very interested in Vikings but since we will visit the Viking museum in Oslo perhaps he won't miss visiting the one in Roskilde.

If anyone else is interested in information on the Copenhagen card, here is the URL for it.

http://online.citybreak.com/Search/Other/SearchOther.aspx?pdid=4525&onlineid=1459618727

Diana

Hi Diana, I reviewed the link you provide regarding the Copenhagen Card. The free admittance at Frederiksborg palace is to the Palace chapel, which is definately worth seeing. When I was there last year, I believe it was on a Saturday, and a wedding was taking place and we were not permitted into the chapel. I was very dissapointed. I purchased the Copenhagen Card online. I had to enter the dates I'd be using the card. I was never charged for the card until that day. For a while there, I thought I had free cards.

I don't think you can make a mistake in any restaurant in Tivoli. We did not dine at Nimb, but instead dined at Færgekroen and I believe Grøften. Both were great restaurants. I think the Færgekroen was cozier, a smaller restaurant along the lake. We sat outside with the view of the lake. I had the flat fish which was delicious, and Grøften was nice too.

Back to the Viking Museum, in the area before the building with the 5 viking ships, there are craftsmen making things, simulating viking life, etc. Although it's interesting, I think it's mostly for smaller children to appreciate. Still, for me I prefer Frederiksborg castle. Have you discovered the Frederiksborg web came at http://wictor.dk/wictor/frederiksborg/autofrb.html Sometimes it's offline, and if the picture is black, that's becasue it's night time there.

Here is a web site where you can find more information about where your ship dock. It looks like your ship docks at Quai 190, but I couldn't find that location on a map. I think it might be in the Langelinie area. If so, you're closest train station will be Osterport station. If this like works, it should give you a map. http://www.cmport.com/80256A43006614A1/sysOakFil/Cruise_Freeport_presentation/$File/Cruiseloesblad.pdf If your ship docks in Freeport, then the closest station will be Nordhavn. You should be albe to catch a train to Hillerod from either station. It will take about 40 min to reach Hillerod. It will be easy to know which station to get off becaue it's the last station on that route. I would not consider the distance from the cruise ship to the train station far. Maybe a 15 min walk.

Thanks again for the great information. We might try one of the restaurants you mentioned as I think Nimb might get busloads of tourists in it at times.

So when I read the Copenhagen brochure and it lists the following Federiksborg Museet, Frederiksborg Slot/Castle the free admission is only to the Chapel and we will likely have to pay extra to tour the Castle itself? The brochure also mentioned Færgen Frederiksborg / Ferry on the Castle Lake 20/5 0, would that be a free ferry ride and do you know if it's worth doing?

Diana

Hi Diana,

I don't want to mislead you on what the Copenhagen Card offers for Frederiksborg castle. I've looked again at the Copenhagen Card website and I see that maybe it does provide free admittance. I do believe we paid to enter last year, but that might be because either Frederisborg was not included last year, or most likely, I wanted to save the card for the next day since it was only a 24 hour card. We were in the Copenhagen area 2 1/2 days before the cruise and the day we visited Frederiksborg was probably a day I did not want to begin use of the 24 hour card which is why I recall paying for admittance. So it does look like the card does include free admittance. You can email them to veriy at frederiksborgmuseet@frederiksborgmuseet.dk They should respond for you.

For some tranlsation Frederiksborg Museet is The Frederiksborg Museum. Frederiksborg Slot/Castle, "Slot" is the Danish word for Castle. And, Frederiksborg Slotskirke is Frederiksborg castle church.

As for the free ferry ride, I would say that is not worth doing. The ferry boat is very small, and it just takes you for a boat ride around the lake. My guess is this is something for families with small children. With your limited time, it would be better spent walking around the Baroque garden at the castle, or in Hillerod, or time spent walking the streets back in Copenhagen.

Here's a web site for the Tivoli restaurant, Grøften, http://www.groeften.dk/engelsk/startframe.htm If you decide to go there, you may want to make reservations. Use the Reservation link on the website to make a reservation. I requested seating in the garden. My impression was that it would be outside seating, but it was enclosed in a glass roof. We enjoyed our experience.

Let me know if you have more questions, I am glad to help.

Archived