Vista vs Mardi Gras

orangedec10

Hi fellow cruisers! We are looking to book a cruise over spring break. We are typically Celebrity cruisers, but have been on Carnival years ago and expect it to be a better experience for our son, who is 4.

We would be booking a suite. I’m leaning toward the Mardi Gras since it seems there is an additional pool for suites. Thoughts? Anyone sail both have a preference?

Not really factoring the ports of call into the decision…

The pool at Loft 19 is not well suited for kids.  It is more of a warm tub, and not big enough for swimming or playing.  And only Excel suites or those who purchase a cabana have access to Loft 19.  Since your child is young, a  LOFT 19 cabana would be nice to get out of the sun.  I would price out the lower level suites with the cabana, which are usually about   $2,000 per week. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, orangedec10 said:

We would be booking a suite. I’m leaning toward the Mardi Gras since it seems there is an additional pool for suites. Thoughts? Anyone sail both have a preference?

Are you booking an Excel suite?  Those are the ones with the access to Loft 19.  We have been on Mardi Gras twice in an OT suite.  The OS suites are not very desirable to us due to the location and not being covered.  While we wanted to like the Mardi Gras, it just seemed to miss the mark for us. I haven't cruised on Vista, but we have 26 Carnival cruises under our belt on most classes of ships.  Royal is our go to now. Particularly Oasis class.  We have been disappointed on Royal's cut backs recently and looking to give Carnival another chance.  

I’ve sailed both more than once and really liked them both. I’ve sailed Princess, Royal, Norwegian and several other cruise lines. I would say the Mardi Gras is very similar to Royal in both layout and entertainment. So if you’re a big fan of Royals big ships with their wide variety of specialty restaurants and shops then the Mardi Gras will be more your style. And the roller coaster is amazing. But then the Vista has the IMAX theater and I love their afternoon matinee’s.They even have a concession stand and reclining seats. And they have GiGi’s Asian and Cucina Del Capitano (not the free one like on Mardi Gras but one with the full menu that’s to die for). Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with either ship, they’re both excellent choices. If I knew more of what your preferences were I could help more but they’re both great ships.

Just be sure to look into the Family Harbor area which is a new concept with the Vista and Excel class (Mardi Gras) ships. It’s pretty popular with families and has larger family sized suites and cabins. There’s also a separate lounge area just for the kids with snacks, drinks, board games, video games, family movies and other kids to play with. You have your own separate breakfast in the lounge area too which is so nice not having to fight the lido buffet crowds. Also, kids under 11 can eat for free once at either the steak house, Rudi’s Sea Grill or Bonsai Sushi. You also get one free night owls evening at Camp Ocean for kids 11 and under. Oh and they have cookies and milk out every evening around bed time which is a nice touch. 

Edited by cruisinqt
Error
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lazydayz said:

The pool at Loft 19 is not well suited for kids.  It is more of a warm tub, and not big enough for swimming or playing.  And only Excel suites or those who purchase a cabana have access to Loft 19.  Since your child is young, a  LOFT 19 cabana would be nice to get out of the sun.  I would price out the lower level suites with the cabana, which are usually about   $2,000 per week. 

This is what we did last spring Break. We booked an Ocean Suite and got the Cabana. They became available pre cruise about a month before sailing. 

• Like 1