Late Boarding & Sailing time...

NavyCruiser

On our previous 30+ ocean cruises, on embarkation day, the ship always depart around 5pm.  Thus, we've always had assigned embarkation times between 11am - 12pm.

We're booked on our first MSC cruise, on the Euribia for next April 2024, departing from Rotterdam.  Schedule says it departs at 8pm, & embarkation time is 5pm.  

We're arriving Amsterdam airport at 6 am, then taking the One hour train ride down to Rotterdam, so hopefully we'll arrive port in the early morning hours.

Question is, is there a way for us to drop off our luggages that early in the morning, then spend a few hours on our own to do some sightseeing around Rotterdam city, then come back to check in at 5pm.  Also, will they allow us to board earlier than 5pm?

Last year, we boarded Holland America Rotterdam ship in Rotterdam.  We stayed at Amsterdam airport hotel, went back to AMS airport to take HAL's bus transfer/transport from airport to Rotterdam cruise port.  Easy.

Looking forward to our first MSC cruise...

Without looking at the itinerary my guess is that you are joining "mid" itinerary so that's why the ship is sailing so late.  If it were me and I was arriving into AMS (and you haven't been to Amsterdam), I'd.... take the bus/shuttle into Amsterdam directly to the central train station. You can check your luggage there.  Spend the morning and early day in AMS, then take the train to Rotterdam.  Alternately there is luggage storage in the train station in Rotterdam for about 7E for the day.  I wouldn't plan on going to the port and dropping off luggage very early and then turning around.  

• Like 1

Standard multi embarkation cruise as it transitions from the 7n winter cruises to the Norway ones

We went through Rotterdam a few times this year but I cannot remember if there was any check in open when we got off.

I remember people were arriving but that was 10:45 according to the photos I took.

I would get on the roll call here and see if there is one for the other place and ask around for what check in times people got.

Rotterdam is one of ports that has low numbers embarking they don't need a big team and luggage off load should be finished fairly quickly and have the shore porters around. 

The station and port are either side of the main tourist area I think I would go  dump the bags and find out what time check in starts if cant find it before you get there.

A lot of touristy stuff won't be open that early anyway eg the cube house its 11am.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Schedule says it departs at 8pm, & embarkation time is 5pm.  

There is a high probability that your boarding time will change several times before you sail and it will get much earlier.

I very much doubt it will be as late as 5pm as they will want to have you onboard and completing the safety video etc. well before then.

• Like 2