Belfast - is experiencing Giant’s Causeway AND Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge possible if arriving on a cruise ship?

We will be arriving in Belfast on Aug 15 at 10am on a cruise. 

There are a couple things we want to do but we can’t find a tour/excursion that has both included, typically we find one or the other but not both since our ship doesn’t arrive until 10am (there seems to be plenty of tour operators which offer both but the start time is before the ship arrives).

We’d like to do both the Giants Causeway (with time to explore it) and Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (with time to cross the bridge)

Has anyone found a tour that includes both of these? We’ve only been able to find tours with one or the other, or one with just a photo opportunity at the other. 

We’d also like to see Dunluce Castle (photo opportunity only is fine) and the Dark Hedges (photo opportunity only is fine). 

if we could get all 4 of those things in while we’re there, it would be perfect!  Any suggestions?

42 minutes ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Thanks.  But this doesn’t pick up at the dock and it leaves at 9:30am but our ship doesn’t arrive until 10am. That’s what we’ve been finding, tours to the places we want to go all seem to leave earlier than we arrive in the port.    Tours that we find that will pick up at the port when the ship arrives don’t shave all the stops we want. 

4 hours ago, Aunt Tina said:

Check Trip Advisor for Shore Excursions in Belfast.  Unfortunately, I want the same thing on the 30th, but Odyssey is not doing it on the 30th!

Thanks!  I have left a message for them asking. So far it looks like they hit all the stops but the description isn’t clear if the rope bridge is a stop or just a photo op.  Hoping it’s a stop that allows time enough to walk it.   We’ll see…

We did the Giant's Causeway with extra leg room shore excursion with Odyssey Coach Tours back in 2019.  After we got to the causeway, folks who wanted to cross the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge were taken there, but still had an opportunity to see the causeway.  There is an extra admission charge if you choose to walk the bridge.  Here is a link to their website:  https://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/shore-excursions/

6 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

We did the Giant's Causeway with extra leg room shore excursion with Odyssey Coach Tours back in 2019.  After we got to the causeway, folks who wanted to cross the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge were taken there, but still had an opportunity to see the causeway.  There is an extra admission charge if you choose to walk the bridge.  Here is a link to their website:  https://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/shore-excursions/

Thanks!  That’s good to hear!  Were you on a cruise when you were there?  

4 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

I recommend you book a tour with https://www.valuecabs.co.uk/taxi-tours/

They have a tour to the Giant's Causeway and the Rope Bridge, it may be worth contacting them to see if they could tailor it so you get the other locations you're interested in.

Thanks! We just checked their website, that may be a good option too!

1 minute ago, myblubu said:

Thanks!  That’s good to hear!  Were you on a cruise when you were there?  

Yes!  According to their website they adjust the departure time if your cruise ship arrives later than 8:00AM.  There was availability for both August 15th, and August 30th (another poster's date) when I checked the Small Group Extra Leg Room Shore Excursion they offered. You can contact them to clarify any questions about the tour.  Here's what we booked:  https://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/giants_causeway_tour/shore-excursion-giants-causeway-tour-small-group/

1 hour ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Yes!  According to their website they adjust the departure time if your cruise ship arrives later than 8:00AM.  There was availability for both August 15th, and August 30th (another poster's date) when I checked the Small Group Extra Leg Room Shore Excursion they offered. You can contact them to clarify any questions about the tour.  Here's what we booked:  https://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/giants_causeway_tour/shore-excursion-giants-causeway-tour-small-group/

Awesome - thanks! This is very helpful - we’ll contact them. Thanks!

On 6/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, Cruisen Elf said:

Double check excursions before you book. Most now only include a picture stop at the rope bridge where in the past you could walk across the bridge. If you go with a cab tour you should be ok but most busses can not enter the parking lot.

35 minutes ago, BURNSMN said:

Double check excursions before you book. Most now only include a picture stop at the rope bridge where in the past you could walk across the bridge. If you go with a cab tour you should be ok but most busses can not enter the parking lot.

Yes, I agree you should double check with the tour company before booking! 

I will add that the link I showed is a small group tour that uses smaller vehicles (19, 24, or 36 seats), not a large "Greyhound" sized bus.  I know that when we took the tour (2019), some of us stayed the entire time at Giants Causeway, while several folks, including my husband, were transported to and from the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge in order to cross it.  So I presume the smaller bus fit into the parking lot there.

6 minutes ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Yes, I agree you should double check with the tour company before booking! 

I will add that the link I showed is a small group tour that uses smaller vehicles (19, 24, or 36 seats), not a large "Greyhound" sized bus.  I know that when we took the tour (2019), some of us stayed the entire time at Giants Causeway, while several folks, including my husband, were transported to and from the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge in order to cross it.  So I presume the smaller bus fit into the parking lot there.

If you check current reviews it seems Odyssey has some busses that are no longer allowed to stop. We were there a couple of weeks ago on a smaller bus (not Odyssey) and we could only do a picture stop which was from a spot not very close. Just worth double checking no matter who you go with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

We did the rope bridge a few years ago and the line was huge, even in the pouring rain.  Not sure I would spend the time waiting if I were to do it over.