How strict are the dress code themes?

bergenbird

We have another one of those "separated by a common language" problems, I bet. To many in the US, where we don't have the same deep tradition in "masquerade", the term is equivalent to "costume party" (that is, "fancy dress" to those in the British Isles, I think?).

2 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

We have another one of those "separated by a common language" problems, I bet. To many in the US, where we don't have the same deep tradition in "masquerade", the term is equivalent to "costume party" (that is, "fancy dress" to those in the British Isles, I think?).

Term on  my 'My Account' is 'masquerade ball'  not masquerade party.

Semantics, maybe, but a subtle difference and if it's on my account, it must be on others' too. 🙂

• Like 1

The only time in our adult lives that we have dressed up for a Halloween Party (fancy dress or costume party), was an event at a sister in laws. A variety of cheap poly-cotton sheets were bought at ASDA (part of Walmart) and stapled together. A close study of the footwear can identify the male and female species.  I originally thought we might recycle the outfits as nuns the following year but the subsequent party wasn't held (or they didn't invite us!).

Potentially these could have been worn for the Masquerade Ball and the Black & White Gala! 🤣

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Term on  my 'My Account' is 'masquerade ball'  not masquerade party.

Semantics, maybe, but a subtle difference and if it's on my account, it must be on others' too. 🙂

Sure ... I'm just saying a lot of people in the US might miss the distinction. Not that it's right, just an explanation of what might be going on.

Edited by TouchstoneFeste

1 hour ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Sure ... I'm just saying a lot of people in the US might miss the distinction. Not that it's right, just an explanation of what might be going on.

Cunard do give a guide in their blurb[well they do on mine]  but I suppose unless you go looking for it, it's not immediately obvious.

I saw a few Peaky Blinders [google the TV series]  for the Roaring 20s this time, as opposed to more Jay Gatsby formal.

They all seemed to enjoy the occasion.🙂

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard do give a guide in their blurb[well they do on mine]  but I suppose unless you go looking for it, it's not immediately obvious.

I saw a few Peaky Blinders [google the TV series]  for the Roaring 20s this time, as opposed to more Jay Gatsby formal.

They all seemed to enjoy the occasion.🙂

And we must remember that there seems to be a small number of passengers (occasionally some appear on here) who, long after booking, are astonished to discover Cunard has such things as formal nights. So it is not surprising if some miss out on the subtleties of themes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Er, how do penguins relate to Halloween? Just curious.

Back in the 1960s it tended to be more general fancy dress. There wasn't the flood of cheap outfits in shops there is now.

My mother used to make us outfits, including a penguin of much better quality than ours, it was made for my older sister but I then used it when I grew into it. I had a kangaroo outfit with a length of curtain rail covered in fabric for the tail and a pouch for the baby joey. I had a bear based on a faux fur jacket worn back to front. For all these she made really well fitted heads with properly positioned eye and mouth holes. One of my sisters had a witches outfit that was also in a church panto I think. And a variety of others.

So really just a nod back to that.

8 minutes ago, D&N said:

Back in the 1960s it tended to be more general fancy dress. There wasn't the flood of cheap outfits in shops there is now.

My mother used to make us outfits, including a penguin of much better quality than ours, it was made for my older sister but I then used it when I grew into it. I had a kangaroo outfit with a length of curtain rail covered in fabric for the tail and a pouch for the baby joey. I had a bear based on a faux fur jacket worn back to front. For all these she made really well fitted heads with properly positioned eye and mouth holes. One of my sisters had a witches outfit that was also in a church panto I think. And a variety of others.

So really just a nod back to that.

There is something rather plangent about having a hand-me down penguin kit.🙂 We only children are so lucky.

• Like 2

Onboard now and after first Gala night, a very vast majority follow the rules and everyone and everything looks great. One guy is getting away (even on Gala night) with dancing in Queens Room in an untucked Hawaiian shirt and khakis. Seriously…

In his defense, he’s a good dancer but a loud Hawaiian shirt?

• Like 3

Just now, NE John said:

Onboard now and after first Gala night, a very vast majority follow the rules and everyone and everything looks great. One guy is getting away (even on Gala night) with dancing in Queens Room in an untucked Hawaiian shirt and khakis. Seriously…

In his defense, he’s a good dancer but a loud Hawaiian shirt?

Does he have a mustache and drive a Ferrari?

• Haha 10

On 6/24/2023 at 4:37 PM, D&N said:

The only time in our adult lives that we have dressed up for a Halloween Party (fancy dress or costume party), was an event at a sister in laws. A variety of cheap poly-cotton sheets were bought at ASDA (part of Walmart) and stapled together. A close study of the footwear can identify the male and female species.  I originally thought we might recycle the outfits as nuns the following year but the subsequent party wasn't held (or they didn't invite us!).

Potentially these could have been worn for the Masquerade Ball and the Black & White Gala! 🤣

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Ok, ok...we know I stay quiet now so as not to tip the cart much on these Cunard boats. But, I just have to ask...for black and white night, could I get away with this? I'd be ok junking the orange since I'd need a mouth hole to eat dinner. I'd love this! (And yes, I understand my Criticer brethren would not). 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok, ok...we know I stay quiet now so as not to tip the cart much on these Cunard boats. But, I just have to ask...for black and white night, could I get away with this? I'd be ok junking the orange since I'd need a mouth hole to eat dinner. I'd love this! (And yes, I understand my Criticer brethren would not). 

Of course you won't be going beakless, in order to keep up appearances so you will have to go as Spheniscus demersus  as the black beak will tone beautifully with the black and white code.

I think black shoes of course to complete the black and white theme.

You'll go hungry but hey, what's  a night of hunger compared with a wonderful night of adhering to a black and white code! 👍

• Haha 2