Help From an Athens Resident Regarding the November 12 Marathon

gkkapp

We will be in Athens on Sunday November 12, 2023. This is the same day that the Athens Marathon will be happening. Originally, we planned on hiring a cab to take us directly to the Acropolis. After visiting the Parthenon we planned to walk down to the Monaseriaki area, explore around, do some shopping at the flea market (if open) and then catch a cab back to the ship. We are rethinking this due to the marathon. Thinking of taking a ship's tour so we would be sure to get back to the ship. Not what we really want to do. Can someone in Athens give us an idea of how crowded it will be that day. The area we want to visit seems to be away from the area where is marathon is finishing. Will it be hard to get a cab back to the ship?  Any advise you could give would be appreciated.

<<<Karen>>>

I think you'll get more answers if you post this question on TripAdvisor, where there are more locals participating in the forums.

(when I visited Athens we walked from the ship to the subway station. The subway got us very close to the Acropolis, and I'm sure subways will be running whether or not there's a marathon)

Edited by mapleleaves

On 6/28/2023 at 1:28 PM, GreenFamily said:

Thank you for posting the map.  We have decided to take a ship's tour to insure that we will get back to the ship.  Not what we wanted to do but better safe then sorry,

<<<Karen>>>