Le Havre, France port notes

sandinmyshoes

We took a transatlantic and I'd like to share my notes from successful sights in each of the ports.  These were collected from a number of sights including Cruise Critic.  I hope these give you a good starting point for planning your port day as well.

To get to city center from the ship:

30 min walk minimum; ship shuttle (not always free); taxi €8

Easily walkable city center

- sightseeing bus “Bee Le Havre” (leaves from a point on the square across from the “volcano”) - 50 minute La Havre city highlights tour (they were not running the local city tour the day we were there unfortunately); it also has a tour route to Honfluer

- There is a pretty seaside promenade; walk from the city center along “Ave Foch” to get there; at the gate shaped buildings turn LEFT; walk toward St Joseph’s Church (go inside; it’s surprisingly breathtaking) and then walk toward the sea

- small but beautiful church on “Rue de Paris” called Cathedral Notre Dame (has lovely stone groin vault ceilings); the sidewalks along this street are mostly covered, so its good if it is a rainy day

- Le Halles (the halls) is a covered market with some bakeries, a grocery store & interesting vendors by the “Volcano” (closed 1-3pm); - - -Boulangerie Maison Portier makes good bread, sandwiches, pastries & is across from the market if you want a quick bite. (I bought a "lemon frappe" Lindt chocolate bar in the grocery store at this market and looked for it in each port stop afterwards to no avail.  It was splendid if you like the combo of chocolate and lemon cream and can not be found in my local stores or on Amazon.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, sandinmyshoes said:

We took a transatlantic and I'd like to share my notes from successful sights in each of the ports.  These were collected from a number of sights including Cruise Critic.  I hope these give you a good starting point for planning your port day as well.

- sightseeing bus “Bee Le Havre” (leaves from a point on the square across from the “volcano”) - 50 minute La Havre city highlights tour (they were not running the local city tour the day we were there unfortunately); it also has a tour route to Honfluer

- There is a pretty seaside promenade; walk from the city center along “Ave Foch” to get there; at the gate shaped buildings turn LEFT; walk toward St Joseph’s Church (go inside; it’s surprisingly breathtaking) and then walk toward the sea

- small but beautiful church on “Rue de Paris” called Cathedral Notre Dame (has lovely stone groin vault ceilings); the sidewalks along this street are mostly covered, so its good if it is a rainy day

- Le Halles (the halls) is a covered market with some bakeries, a grocery store & interesting vendors by the “Volcano” (closed 1-3pm); - - -Boulangerie Maison Portier makes good bread, sandwiches, pastries & is across from the market if you want a quick bite. (I bought a "lemon frappe" Lindt chocolate bar in the grocery store at this market and looked for it in each port stop afterwards to no avail.  It was splendid if you like the combo of chocolate and lemon cream and can not be found in my local stores or on Amazon.)

Thanks so much! We're going to Honfleur, but hope to have some time before or after to see some of LeHavre. This is most helpful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 1:45 PM, sandinmyshoes said:

Do you have any other information on their tour to Honfleur? Do you have to book in advance?  We are there in May of ‘24.

Thanks

On 8/5/2023 at 7:10 PM, kickbackcruisers said:

Do you have any other information on their tour to Honfleur? Do you have to book in advance?  We are there in May of ‘24.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I do not.  I only saw the sign at the bus stop saying they went to Honfleur.  They do have a website that will likely give you all the info you need for it though.   I think it is just Bee Le Havre . com but you can do a google search to make sure.  Enjoy!  It is a beautiful area all around.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:10 AM, kickbackcruisers said:

Thanks

You really do not need a “tour” to go to Honfleur.  Taxis, at the port, will take multiple passengers for about 25 Euros.  Honfleur is a very walkable town with most having lunch at one of the cafe/restaurants arrayed around the small harbor.

Hank

• 1 month later...