NCL cruise insurance VS. ?

Red-Sol

Looking at NCL this appears to be the rates used for cancellation fees for a cruise:

119-91 days | 25% of booked fare
90-61 days | 50% of booked fare
60-31 days | 75% of booked fare
30 days or less | 100%

Looking at NCL Insurance Cancel For Any Reason it appears that only future cruise credits will be applied at 90% of the penalty rate. 

BookSafe Travel Protection - Platinum Plan

Credit for a future sailing
Future credit if you need to cancel your trip for any reason 90% of cruise penalty

So my question is what makes up cruise fare? I assume that it is only the actual fare and not additional things like advance payment of DSC, purchasing drink packages, spa thermal suite passes, excursions, etc. I assume that all of those types of things would be refunded at 100% if a cruise needed to be cancelled. What I am trying to determine is what to use for an amount to purchase insurance for a cruise...Is it really just the amount of the fare only without all other additional addons purchased? I would prefer to use outside cruise insurance (through squaremouth) but need to be sure I am comparing apples to apples as I would much rather get some type of actual refund in cash credits (if ever needed) rather than future cruise credit.

Edited by Red-Sol

Only the cruise fare is non refundable for US purchases. 

You get a refund of taxes, port charges, and any add ons (daily service charge, shore ex, tips for Free at Sea, additional dining, spa, internet, etc). 

We take insurance mostly for the non-cruise fare things. Trip delay. Medical. Evacuation. 

• Thanks 1

Transportation and evacuation coverages are misnomers. The only transportation they cover is to the nearest medical facility. They will arrange and coordinate evacuation, but they don't cover the cost of it. We always buy a short term Medjet insurance policy to cover evacuation expenses back home.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I have never purchased insurance from a cruise line, I can always get better and more comprehensive coverage buying from a 3rd party.

This. I make sure the 3rd party insurance has generous medical and evac, then use my credit card with generous trip cancellation and interruption coverage. Not that we've ever had to use it, but it is a comfort.

• Like 1