Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

dutch_girl_scout

If we flew into Sanford Airport (near Orlando) the night before our cruise, is the drive to Port Everglades doable the next morning? Google maps puts it at a 4 hour drive but I'm unfamiliar with the area and didn't know what other factors I would need to take into consideration.

Four hours is about right for your first drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale. I've done it in less time but then again I've done the drive too many times to count. If you decide to do it, stick with the Florida Turnpike. Usually less traffic and fewer accidents then I-95. It's an easy drive, plenty of signs. It's a shame you can't fly in to PBI, FLL or MIA. Less chance of a snafu messing up your trip. You know what they all say, arrive the day before.... ;)

It's a shame you can't fly in to PBI, FLL or MIA. Less chance of a snafu messing up your trip. You know what they all say, arrive the day before....

Based on her user name Dutch_Girl_Scout, if she is from The Netherlands, she may be arriving on a Charter and most of them use Sanford rather than MCO.

Bequia....Since you've done the drive would you help me out please? If I take the turnpike, where do I get off to get into the Miami port? I took it last trip but we went out of FLL and had a condo close by. Thanks for any info and I am going the day before;)

Four hours is about right for your first drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale. I've done it in less time but then again I've done the drive too many times to count. If you decide to do it, stick with the Florida Turnpike. Usually less traffic and fewer accidents then I-95. It's an easy drive, plenty of signs. It's a shame you can't fly in to PBI, FLL or MIA. Less chance of a snafu messing up your trip. You know what they all say, arrive the day before.... ;)

I'm Dutch but not from abroad. My grandparents and husband's grandparents came over from the Netherlands to settle in Iowa. We'd fly into Sanford because we can get $84 per person each way from Des Moines on Allegiant Airlines (they are the only direct flight to Florida from DSM). And yes, we'd fly in the day before, and drive down, then we'd have extra hours for any snafus.

Bequia....Since you've done the drive would you help me out please? If I take the turnpike, where do I get off to get into the Miami port? I took it last trip but we went out of FLL and had a condo close by. Thanks for any info and I am going the day before;)

Piece of cake.....You would stay on the turnpike south (past the I-595 Port Everglades exit) until it meets with I-95 in North Miami Beach. Continue south on I-95 until you reach I-395. You would take I-395 east to the Biscayne Blvd (US1) exit for the Port of Miami.

It's an ez drive. Excellent signage, practically impossible to get lost. ;)

If we flew into Sanford Airport (near Orlando) the night before our cruise, is the drive to Port Everglades doable the next morning? Google maps puts it at a 4 hour drive but I'm unfamiliar with the area and didn't know what other factors I would need to take into consideration.

You could fly out of Orlando the next morning on Southwest. They have 7:10am flight and 10:55am flight, both are less than an hour and they run $59--$77 dollar range. They fly into FLL, which is a 10 minute taxi ride to the pier. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Kel

Check with the rental car company. Several will allow you to pick up in Orlando and drop in Lauderdale at no additional charge.

In Florida, none of the major car rental companys charge a one way drp off fee. ;)

Archived