Sail in Santorini - which side of ship is best

mickeysgal

Why would you sit in your cabin?  There are a number of ports around the world where it pays to be up on deck even with an early start

As a general rule, with any scenic sail-in you want to be outside and higher up with as much of a 360 degree view as possible, or a forward observation lounge or similar as option #2 should you prefer indoors to outdoors.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Am I missing something?  I never thought the sail in to Santorini was anything special. Certainly not like sailing in to Malta or the sail up the Bay of Kotor. Or even approaching Istanbul.

Yes, the view is pretty once you're in the caldera. But the sail in?

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Am I missing something?  I never thought the sail in to Santorini was anything special. Certainly not like sailing in to Malta or the sail up the Bay of Kotor. Or even approaching Istanbul.

Yes, the view is pretty once you're in the caldera. But the sail in?

Well, that's my next question...what about the approach to Istanbul.  And for docking overnight.  What side of the ship gives the best view?

4 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Well, that's my next question...what about the approach to Istanbul.  And for docking overnight.  What side of the ship gives the best view?

For the sail in to Istanbul, assuming you're traveling north up the Aegean Sea, you'll pass the old part of Istanbul, with its domes and minarets on the port side. But once you're docked it's a matter of luck. Some ships will dock port-side in and some will dock the other way around.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For the sail in to Istanbul, assuming you're traveling north up the Aegean Sea, you'll pass the old part of Istanbul, with its domes and minarets on the port side. But once you're docked it's a matter of luck. Some ships will dock port-side in and some will dock the other way around.

Thank you