Sea plane tour excursion Weather?

larrybritt

We are doing a sea plane tour excursion in Juneau. Taku Lodge Feast & Glacier trip on Princess on July 6th. My question is wondering what type of weather do the usually end up cancelling the trip? If it is raining? as I know it rains a lot there. Too windy? LOL, can you tell I'm a little nervous and wouldn't mind it being cancelled. This is my wife's dream trip she loves to fly and I'm not a fan but will do it for her. And has anyone taken this trip?

We had the same excursion cancelled due to rain and low clouds during our first Alaskan cruise. We totally understood - safety first! The rain stopped and we walked down the pier and grabbed a whale watching trip, so all was not lost. We are heading back up early September and have Taku Lodge booked. Might as well try again! Good luck to you!

logo_new_final.png

Do you fly in the rain?
The Tongass National Forest, an actual rainforest, makes up much of Southeast Alaska. We Alaskans have learned to appreciate the rain and never let it stop us do what we need to do. If it is otherwise safe and quality flying weather, we will fly in the rain. A little known fact is that the rich blue hues in the glaciers are more vibrant to the eye on an overcast day. Most photographers utilize Mother Nature’s magic when trying to capture the amazing blues!

What if the weather is “bad”?
Our pilots are experts in the decision making process when it comes to Southeast Alaska weather. Safety of our passengers and employees is our number one priority. We will not fly if it isn’t safe. Our second priority is quality, and we wont fly if it isn’t going to be a quality tour. Our reputation is too priceless to send guests out…and have them not see anything.

Source: https://wingsairways.com/faq/

• Like 1

On our first AK cruise in the early 1990s I learned about the historic and economic significance the DeHavilland Beaver was to Alaska.  Finally, in 2018 we booked a tour on a DeHavilland Beaver on our Ketchikan stop.  As has already been noted on this thread Ketchikan is in a rainforest.  Sure enough, on the day we arrived in Ketchikan, it was drizzly with low clouds.  I was not raining hard by any means and, certainly, was not foggy, but all floatplane excursions were cancelled.  My onboard account was credited, and, suddenly I had a lot of OBC to spend.  We succeeded in that royally,  😁

The following year we booked the same flightseeing excursion, and that time we made it.  It was great.