The best travel insurance is the insurance you don't need. 😁

No, really, that's a great question but entirely too open ended. It would be like me asking you what's the best car. It can't be answered because there is not enough information to give a correct answer.

The best travel insurance is the insurance policy that covers what is most important to you as an individual or family. Is it Trip Cancellation? Is it Trip Delay? Is it Trip Interruption? Is it medical coverage? There are polices at various price points that highlight all of the above or better coverage in 1 but not so much in the other.

Myself? I worry more about medical coverage. That is what could potentially be financially devasting to me. The other coverages I can skimp on because they don't affect me as bad financially or emotionally.

Your best bet and my recommendation would be to check out TripInsuranceStore or other brokers and speak directly to them to better understand what your options are.

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Edited by klfrodo

I usually cruise on Princess and just use the travel insurance they provide. Because of my status I get the higher level. How does this compare, coverages and costs, with insurance purchased elsewhere?

42 minutes ago, AMH210 said:

I usually cruise on Princess and just use the travel insurance they provide. Because of my status I get the higher level. How does this compare, coverages and costs, with insurance purchased elsewhere?

A couple of things I like, a couple of things I don't like. My opinion is based on what I was able to find and download from a google search.

What do I like?

The Cancel for Any Reason at 100% future cruise credit is included in the base price.

The price is not based on the age of the travelers.

What doesn't work for me.

* Medical is $20K. Too low of coverage for me

* Medical is secondary. I don't want to have to get denial of coverage letters from Medicare or my work supplied health care insurance provider before I file a claim with someone else. I choose to have my travel insurance for medical to be Primary.

* Coverage (as far as I can tell) begins when the ship is scheduled to depart. We like to travel 2, 3, sometimes more days in advance and even delay our travels post cruise before we return home. Therefore, we like to choose our begin dates and return home dates. (Basically, door to door.)

* I don't see where they define Trip Delay or Trip Interruption. Many policies define the limitations on Trip Delay. On some, they won't pay unless you are delayed by more than 4 hours, some the delay has to exceed 24 hours. Plus, the reimbursement is based on 150% of Trip Cost rather than just limited to a max of $1500.

This is all my opinion and what works for me. If you are happy with the Platinum plan, then by all means. Go with what works for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AMH210 said:

I forgot to add, it's doesn't appear the the Platinum policy has a pre-existing condition waiver.

16 hours ago, jodaytona said:

What’s the best travel insurance 

Hi jodaytona,

As klfrodo stated, your question is entirely too open ended.

My question is “Why would you want a travel insurance plan?” What is at least one risk of a financial loss you would rather not pay for yourself?

Steve Dasseos

• Like 2