Day trip south from Sydney

afto

We find ourselves with an unexpected extra day in Sydney and are thinking of renting a car for the day and driving south to the Sea Cliff Bridge and then perhaps stop in Royal National Park. DD likes ocean views and cliffs. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other stops along this area -- scenic stops, good wildlife viewing areas, cute places for a lunch stop, or anything weird and wonderful in a uniquely Australian way (I remember the giant earthworm museum near Melbourne, for example). 

Thanks for any and all ideas.

The lookout at Stanwell Tops has spectacular views along the coast. You can even arrange a tandem hang glider from there.

Further down the coast the Kiama blow hole is a very traditional place to visit. It was always one of our major family outings when I was a kid.

Even further down is Jervis Bay with some beautiful beaches. Hyams beach is supposed to have the whitest sand in the world. Point Perpendicular lighthouse has wonderful views out to sea and across the bay.

8 hours ago, afto said:

We find ourselves with an unexpected extra day in Sydney and are thinking of renting a car for the day and driving south to the Sea Cliff Bridge and then perhaps stop in Royal National Park. DD likes ocean views and cliffs. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other stops along this area -- scenic stops, good wildlife viewing areas, cute places for a lunch stop, or anything weird and wonderful in a uniquely Australian way (I remember the giant earthworm museum near Melbourne, for example). 

Thanks for any and all ideas.

The Imperial at Clifton is a good stop for lunch. It is near the Sea Cliff Bridge.

I have linked a google map which gives you a nice full day loop. Perhaps do it in reverse, i.e. Bowral first, which is a lovely touristy village where you could stop for morning tea. Shell Harbour and the coast around there is beautiful. https://goo.gl/maps/kLLWT7GSf4b7NuMC7

If you leave really early and have the time, you could continue along the coast past Shell Harbour to the Shoalhaven and return to Moss Vale via Berry and Kangaroo Valley which is incredibly picturesque.

Thank you so much to both SindbadThePorter and yarramar for all of these really useful information. And even a map! Wow! Adding Stanwell Tops and avocado toast at the Imperial Hotel to our itinerary and we will see how much time we have to range further afield. have googled all the points you both have suggested and the scenery is stunning. So much to see! Wishing I had 2 extra days now!  Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query.