Using Starbucks Gift Card

briternik

I have the Starbucks app and i always put the gift card on my app (so not sure they allow just gift cards ) nothing was added to the purchase .i just dint want to be drinking all that Starbucks to make the package worth it. In fact i believe i only had two specialty drinks in 7 days. 

Yes. The gratuity is for the service, not the product. Now, we could certainly debate why Norwegian doesn't simply factor all this stuff into the fares, including the service charges, and plenty have engaged in such debates. But it is what it is. You'll end up paying it one way or another.

Edited by omahabob

17 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Yes. The gratuity is for the service, not the product. Now, we could certainly debate why Norwegian doesn't simply factor all this stuff into the fares, including the service charges, and plenty have engaged in such debates. But it is what it is. You'll end up paying it one way or another.

This is incorrect. I have used my Starbucks app on multiple ships and never was a gratuity added. If you use the app, you don't sign anything to add a tip. And yes, you can use the gift cards in place of the app. Your app will not update your remaining balance until you connect to data but you can ask for a paper receipt and it will show your balance. I always go to the Starbucks and give a cash tip to the crew on my last day on the ship but that is just me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omahabob said:

I was talking about the gift card, not the app.

They don't take out a gratuity if you use the gift card either, at least not in my experience. If you use your room key, then a gratuity might be charged but I try to avoid having charges on my folio at the end of a cruise.

So do I. They always asked for my card, even when I wasn't actually paying for something, so the gratuity could always be added. That might change from ship to ship. I don't know. Then again, I never went to Starbucks.

19 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

This is incorrect. I have used my Starbucks app on multiple ships and never was a gratuity added. If you use the app, you don't sign anything to add a tip. And yes, you can use the gift cards in place of the app. Your app will not update your remaining balance until you connect to data but you can ask for a paper receipt and it will show your balance. I always go to the Starbucks and give a cash tip to the crew on my last day on the ship but that is just me. 

So you can use your app without internet?  I will be on the Joy. 

34 minutes ago, briternik said:

So you can use your app without internet?  I will be on the Joy. 

Yes. I did it all the way across the Atlantic on the Prima...and in February on the Joy. As I mentioned, your balance won't update until you get data but they can give you a receipt. Also you earn Stars for your purchases but they cannot be redeemed on board.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, briternik said:

If I use a Starbucks gift card instead of buying the Starbucks package, do they still add a 20% gratuity, or is the tip at my discretion?  

I used a gift card and just gave cash tip. They do not add 20%.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 6:56 PM, omahabob said:

Now, we could certainly debate why Norwegian doesn't simply factor all this stuff into the fares, including the service charges, and plenty have engaged in such debates. 

People can’t have it both ways. People demand transparency with travel and other costs. At the State of the Union address, the President of the United States demanded that travel industry vendors full disclose and itemize fees and discretely charge them so people know what they are paying for. So,,, NCL does thatk and people scream about they showing the fees and charge and why they don’t just have a bottom line charge. You can’t have it both ways.