When to get?

bajae

It seems you should get travel insurance when you book your cruise so pre-existing conditions are covered. However, I can get a full refund of my cruise fare until 9/24 (cruise is 12/24). It’s too early to have any non-refundable expenses so it seems silly to buy travel insurance this early. I don’t even know all the details, like what days I will fly, etc. Health wise, my daughter (my cruise companion) and I currently have no health concerns. My husband, however has been treated for cancer, currently doing well, and is not going on the cruise. I want to wait until closer to the cruise to get insurance. Would I be making a mistake? Thanks!

Note, I did book about a month ago but if needed, I imagine I could cancel and rebook. 

The waiver of pre-existing conditions clause also includes family members not traveling with you.

I realize that you have no non-refundable expenses yet, however, purchasing the travel insurance within the timeline stated is one of the conditions that need to be met to waive pre-existing conditions.

All you need to do right now is decide what policy you want to get and pay enough to cover the deposit. Then, as time goes by and you make additional purchases that need to be covered, you notify the insurance company, and pay the additional costs.

• Thanks 2

Note, I did book about a month ago but if needed, I imagine I could cancel and rebook. 

Be careful with this approach. Many of the policies state that in order to have the pre-exisiting wavier, your booking must be the first. I think they caught on to the cancel and re book trick.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, HBDave said:

Be careful with this approach. Many of the policies state that in order to have the pre-exisiting wavier, your booking must be the first. I think they caught on to the cancel and re book trick.

Not sure how an Insurance co. would know if you had booked, canceled and booked again.

Edited by philbird
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philbird said:

Not sure how an Insurance co. would know if you had booked, canceled and booked again.

That is the key. One must cancel all travel arrangements and receive 100% refund to original form of payment or in cash. Simply transferring the deposit to another time does not reset the initial deposit date.

Since the OP has not booked air, it may not be a problem; but it does mean the new booking would be under current terms so the same price, cabin, or promotions may not apply.

This might be avoided by buying a policy that allows the pre-existing conditions waiver at final payment if it extends to non-traveling family members as well.

Thanks for the info. It does seem silly to pay hundreds in insurance now for a trip in which I can cancel with a full refund for another 14 months. I guess I will wait until closer to cruise time and just get coverage for unexpected travel related issues. Timing wise, my husband should be having another set of follow up scans not long before my final payment date so hopefully I’ll know if I need to cancel in time. 

On 6/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Babr said:

That is the key. One must cancel all travel arrangements and receive 100% refund to original form of payment or in cash. Simply transferring the deposit to another time does not reset the initial deposit date.

Since the OP has not booked air, it may not be a problem; but it does mean the new booking would be under current terms so the same price, cabin, or promotions may not apply.

This might be avoided by buying a policy that allows the pre-existing conditions waiver at final payment if it extends to non-traveling family members as well.

In this case, since it is so far out before my scheduled cruise, Dec. 2024, I can cancel now and rebook for the same. If I can’t get  the the same cabin, the one next to it is available still. However, I’m still having a personal issue paying hundreds for something that I can cancel now for zero out of pocket. Plus, I don’t know my dates of travel yet, nor how much money I expect the trip to cost. I may reach out and talk to some insurance companies. I’m just cringing at the thought of the waiting on hold times and trying to explain my questions to a call center staffer who answers from a pre written script. 

On 6/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, klfrodo said:

The waiver of pre-existing conditions clause also includes family members not traveling with you.

I realize that you have no non-refundable expenses yet, however, purchasing the travel insurance within the timeline stated is one of the conditions that need to be met to waive pre-existing conditions.

All you need to do right now is decide what policy you want to get and pay enough to cover the deposit. Then, as time goes by and you make additional purchases that need to be covered, you notify the insurance company, and pay the additional costs.

Thank you, that is helpful to know.

19 minutes ago, bajae said:

In this case, since it is so far out before my scheduled cruise, Dec. 2024, I can cancel now and rebook for the same. If I can’t get  the the same cabin, the one next to it is available still. However, I’m still having a personal issue paying hundreds for something that I can cancel now for zero out of pocket. Plus, I don’t know my dates of travel yet, nor how much money I expect the trip to cost. I may reach out and talk to some insurance companies. I’m just cringing at the thought of the waiting on hold times and trying to explain my questions to a call center staffer who answers from a pre written script. 

I suggest you call Trip Insurance Store and discuss your situation with Steve or one of his agents. They represent several reputable companies. You are probably too late to take advantage of any options that might have been available to you in the time-sensitive period after making initial deposit; nevertheless, these people can advise you on the best alternatives. There are policies that allow the pre-existing conditions waiver at final payment, but those also have stipulations depending on the company.

Be sure you understand the definition of pre-existing condition and how it is applied. Even if you think you don’t need the coverage for yourself or your daughter, you need to understand how the insurance company will evaluate your medical history in case of a claim.

Consult a professional before you cancel and rebook. Be sure you have all the details right before doing something that might invalidate your effort.

• Thanks 2