Seward to Anchorage post-cruise transfer options

travelbuds

While Seward has a small airstrip there is no commercial air service between Seward and Anchorage.  Options are the Alaska Railroad (four hours) or motor coach transfers (about 2.5 hours).  

Generally cruise lines offer special chartered ARR runs which leave early in the morning on disembarkation day and go directly to the Anchorage airport; this option can only be booked through the cruise line.  A later (about 6 PM) regularly scheduled ARR train will run directly to the ARR downtown station with no stop at the Anchorage airport.

Cruise lines offer motor coach transfers too.  There are also private options for motor coach transfers.  Goggle is your friend to find them.  Some are direct transfers while others include a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

• Thanks 1

Here are all of the options available on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, which disembarks in Seward. Celebrity does note that if you are opting for the direct train or coach airport transfer to Anchorage, your flight should leave after 3 pm. If you opt for the Kenai Fjords excursion post cruise before heading to the airport, your flight should leave at 11 pm or later. For the scenic byway, which is also by coach, the recommendation is a flight leaving at 3 pm or later. 

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.33.54 AM.png

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you  for all of your replies. I think we may end up doing the coach transfer (ACT) with the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center stop, and then get dropped off at our hotel in Anchorage. Will probably spend a day or two in Anchorage before flying home.

If celebrity offers a train transfer to Anchorage, take it in a heartbeat. If they don’t, your option would be a bus through Celebrity, or you can explore for the day in Seward and take the Alaska railroad to Anchorage in the evening. The reason I say to take the train is two-fold; it is way more comfortable than being cramped in a bus, and the scenery is magnificent. The train gets to go through an area that has no roads, so the only way to view it is by train. The train does take about twice as much time, though, so, if you’d rather get to Anchorage faster, just take the bus.

10 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

If celebrity offers a train transfer to Anchorage, take it in a heartbeat. If they don’t, your option would be a bus through Celebrity, or you can explore for the day in Seward and take the Alaska railroad to Anchorage in the evening. The reason I say to take the train is two-fold; it is way more comfortable than being cramped in a bus, and the scenery is magnificent. The train gets to go through an area that has no roads, so the only way to view it is by train. The train does take about twice as much time, though, so, if you’d rather get to Anchorage faster, just take the bus.

I agree that the scenery is very good on the train. Have done that trip and also the coach trip in the past. We have done a couple boat tours in Seward, visited the SeaLife Center and hiked Exit Glacier. The ACT coach has a drop off right at the Anchorage hotel we are considering at the top of the hill. Train drop off is the train station near the old Comfort Inn at bottom of hill. Still have some time to make a final decision. Thank you.

39 minutes ago, verizon said:

I am also interested about the pre cruise transportation from Anchorage to Seaward.

Any suggestions?

We have taken AKRR train. We have also done it by coach (part of a Seward boat package). For next southbound cruise, I guess it will depend on what we decide to do in Seward prior to boarding ship and what time we need to be there. We enjoyed the train ride better.

26 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

We have taken AKRR train. We have also done it by coach (part of a Seward boat package). For next southbound cruise, I guess it will depend on what we decide to do in Seward prior to boarding ship and what time we need to be there. We enjoyed the train ride better.

Do you need to make reservation for the AKRR train or buy the ticket at the station ?

Edited by verizon

10 minutes ago, verizon said:

Do you need to make reservation for the AKRR train or buy the ticket at the station ?

I would make the reservation as soon as you have your schedule set. Easy to make the reservation on its website https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/route-map . It can get crowded at the station so I feel more comfortable only having to walk up to the counter (and wait in line) to pick up our tickets. Would be a shame to have everything planned, but not be able to buy a ticket.

1 hour ago, travelbuds said:

I would make the reservation as soon as you have your schedule set. Easy to make the reservation on its website https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/route-map . It can get crowded at the station so I feel more comfortable only having to walk up to the counter (and wait in line) to pick up our tickets. Would be a shame to have everything planned, but not be able to buy a ticket.

Thank you for the info

2 hours ago, verizon said:

I am also interested about the pre cruise transportation from Anchorage to Seaward.

Any suggestions?

When I went 10 years ago, we took the train from Anchorage to Seward the day before the cruise. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and relaxing ride. When we got to Seward, we did a Kenai Fjords tour and the train operator took our luggage to our hotel. The next day, we did a behind the scenes tour at the SeaLife Center before going to the ship. If I remember correctly, we were able to have the hotel send our luggage straight to the ship when we checked out.