Booking Extras

miked0035

I am a Gold member, haven't cruised Dis in a few yrs. I have 2 dates coming up, 1 to book excursions, spa etc...and 1 a few weeks later to check in. What exactly can I book on the 1st date?? Looking to book Palo and Mixology class.

At the first check-in date, you can book everything available for booking except for some character meets (for example, Princess Gathering, Royal Tea, and Olaf's Picnic). This includes shore excursions, adult dining, alcohol tastings, spa treatments, and nursery time. So Palo and Mixology are in this group.

The online check-in date roughly a month before your cruise allows you to book the character events that weren't available earlier, as well as select a Port Arrival Time (which connects to your boarding group number). 

• 1 month later...

Considering booking a last minute cruise (after reservations for on-board activities have been open for everyone).  There doesn’t appear to be any way to tell which activities still have availability prior to booking (and paying in full) for the cruise. I tried calling Disney’s booking representatives and they couldn’t provide that information.

Looking at the above list, I’m not concerned with booking shore excursions, adult dining, alcohol tastings, spa treatments or nursery time.

I am concerned about booking (1) Royal Tea, (2) Princess Gathering, (3) Character Breakfast, and (4) the Kids’ Salon. 

Can anyone confirm which of the above four are available to book far in advance (i.e., as Castaway Club check-in windows open) and which ones are locked until 30 days out? The website makes it sound like “character meetings” aren’t available for booking until 30 days out, but it’s not clear whether this includes (1)-(3), above.

Thanks!

For future people with the same question:

As of now there is no Character Breakfast.

Royal Tea and Kids’ Salon appointments begin booking as soon as the first check-in opens. (The above post stating that Royal Tea booking is not available until the “character meet” window is incorrect — at least for my cruise).

The Princess Gathering (now called the Royal Gathering) doesn’t book until about 30 days out.

• 2 weeks later...

HI first time crusier with Disney, but bee with Celebrity & Princess many times. Im considering booking for 10 people (6 adults & 4 grandchildren). Its an expensive cruise and I need to establish if theres an booking issue for Royal Tea, Princess Gathering & Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique !

1. My understanding is that these can only be booked following full payment and X number of days in advance. Am I correct? 

2. If so do regular DCL cruisers with loyality points get first offerings? Rememeber this is our first Disney cruise, so zero loyality points.

3.If we miss out on these reservations; Disney say they booked very quickly, is that it? No recorse to Disney, because if thats the case then Im not going through all that hassel for a cruise that 3 times the cost of others. I like to get what I pay for not a bunch of excuses!!

36 minutes ago, Essex_uk said:

HI first time crusier with Disney, but bee with Celebrity & Princess many times. Im considering booking for 10 people (6 adults & 4 grandchildren). Its an expensive cruise and I need to establish if theres an booking issue for Royal Tea, Princess Gathering & Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique !

1. My understanding is that these can only be booked following full payment and X number of days in advance. Am I correct? 

2. If so do regular DCL cruisers with loyality points get first offerings? Rememeber this is our first Disney cruise, so zero loyality points.

3.If we miss out on these reservations; Disney say they booked very quickly, is that it? No recorse to Disney, because if thats the case then Im not going through all that hassel for a cruise that 3 times the cost of others. I like to get what I pay for not a bunch of excuses!!

Called Disney direct and established that these extra activities can only be booked after full payment is made and as I'm new the DCL we would get access to book these 75 days in advance where as folks with loyality points would be allowed to book further out. So I pointed out that theyri web site says these are very popular; what if the activity is fully booked up by the time Im allowed to book.

Well that does it for me. Ill book with another cruise line:-( 

It is possible that you won't be able to book some onboard activities as a first-time cruiser. If there is nothing available when your booking window opens, you can continue checking online before the cruise, and continue checking once onboard. My family has had good luck getting beverage tastings and adult dining onboard even though they were "sold out" before the cruise. On our recent Disney Cruise out of Southampton, there were Royal Tea and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointments available a month before cruising, but of course, there's no guarantee that will happen on other cruises.

Even if you can't book the Princess Gathering, though, there are character meets several times a day that do not require prebooking -- you just get in line and wait a few minutes. There are family game shows and craft activities throughout the day that similarly don't require booking. 

If you would feel the cruise wouldn't be worthwhile if you can't book the limited number of bookable activites, then a Disney Cruise may not be right for your family.

I haven't cruised on other lines since I had kids, so I don't know what kind of family activities are available on other lines. I can tell you my kids never attended Royal Tea or Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, and did reservation-required character meets only a few times, but very much enjoyed every one of our Disney cruises.