7 days in Southampton

MaudeLou

Hi, we are staying at Premier Inn West Quay Southampton in August for a week between cruises.

Researching this forum has given us lots on our "to do" list to keep us busy but now we are looking for thoughts on reasonably priced places where we can eat plus anywhere we can buy snacks, sandwiches etc.

As our Australian dollar is approx half of the British pound, any help would be much appreciated.

The options are endless?   Southampton is a university town and major cruise centre

so eateries are everywhere.   It will depend on your budget and taste.  There are many

Pubs that provide meals and you are very close to the west quay shopping centre which does dining and snacks  = https://www.west-quay.co.uk/dine/cafes-takeaways 

You can also open googlemaps and check restaurants for prices.

• Like 1

There are lots of eateries in easy walking distance of P.I. West Quay.

Cheapest for an evening meal are pubs of the Wetherspoons group. 5 to 10 mins from P.I West Quay is the Standing Order (formerly a bank) on High Street or 15-20 minutes to The Giddy Bridge at the top end of town. Some folk mock their standards (and we wouldn't go to a Wetherspoons for a special night out,) but it's all very acceptable.

The Red Lion on High Street is near the Standing Order, The Duke of Wellington & the Dancing Man pub / micro-brewery. (aka The Wool House) are 5 to 10 minutes in "old town", All are in attractive and historic buildings, all do decent food at decent prices.

Pies tend to be good and at the lower end of the menu prices - but you're Aussies so I just know you won't be impressed 😀

You'll see that all are pubs (where best value is usually found). Unless any of them have changed, the routine is the usual one for pubs - you choose a table (might have a table number on it) and order at the bar.

The general area for cheapest restaurants is on & around Bedford Place at the top end of town, 15 - 20 minutes. Plenty of varied independent eateries, where you can browse & check menus before choosing.

The other two "restaurant" areas are 

- the West Quay entertainment complex alongside the big West Quay Mall - international brands, not my scene, & not particularly cheap but most have outside tables. And it's just across the road from your hotel, so easy to check them out.

- Oxford Street. 10 - 15 mins. Some nice places but not particularly cheap.

If you like curries, Indian & Thai restaurants are very good value in the UK. They do offer simple international alternatives, but you'd feel out-of-place if none of you order a curry. Decades since I've eaten at one ('er indoors doesn't like spicy) so can't make any recommendations.

Plenty of Chinese in Southampton, but not the value that they used to be.

Unlike central London, very very very few places add a service charge, but check menus outside or on the table - by law an automatic service charge must be clearly mentioned (and remember, service charges of a proportion of the whole ill including drinks) 

There is a tipping culture in the UK, but the norm is no more than 10% and many folk don't tip on principle. If you put on your best Aussie accents any experienced waiter won't feel slighted 😉

If you want to keep costs down order beer or soft drinks with your meal - wine prices ain't like in Aus. and there aren't bring-your-own restaurants.

For takeaways (and in many cases eat-in) of course there's fish & chip shops, though they've been swamped by  Asian takeaways, pizza, chicken & hamburger joints. - all of the international brands are represented, Best chippy is Mike's Fish & Chips on Queensway, 10 - 15 minutes.

Sandwiches, pies, pasties etc at the Co-op welcome store next-door to your hotel. Or top quality at Marks & Spencer in the West Quay Mall opposite.

Or buy the bits & make your own snacks - ASDA  supermarket (10 minutes) will be cheapest. For wines & beers too. And breakfasts.

------------------------

If you won't have a car, I'm presuming you'll be using the train for direct day-trips to places like Portsmouth, Winchester, Salisbury (plus ho-ho from there to Stonehenge), Bath, mebbe Oxford 

Do a quick tally on train fares that you'll be paying  & figure whether its worth buying a two-together or family-and-friends Railcard - costs £30 but saves about a third of most rail fares.

https://www.railcard.co.uk/about-railcards/

And don't forget the Isle of Wight by ferry, or the National Motor Museum (and more) at Beaulieu - the little Hythe Ferry across Southampton Water then a 6-mile taxi ride.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Asda and Tesco and Lidl for quick groceries, have not been impressed with the quality at Co-op though it is a fast option as well.  These are usually my go to for tidbits that can go in to making a tasty picnic or noshing type meal with a glass of wine or beer.  there are tons of informal eating places across the street in the mall area.  Overall I usually use Google Maps to find places to eat.  You can sort by cuisine and view reviews, web sites and menus .  

if you have any affection for trains, Isle of Wight uses old London Underground rolling stock for their local train.  To me that is worth the journey itself.  I would not miss a ramble around Salisbury.  Brighton is so well known for its beachfront I would consider that a day away as well.  They are also known for their Starling murmurations at the pier, though Summer it is less likely to see the massive flocks that create these.  Agree with John Bull about the rail card, this is a situation where it may be of actual savings most of us cannot take advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Asda and Tesco and Lidl for quick groceries, have not been impressed with the quality at Co-op though it is a fast option as well.  These are usually my go to for tidbits that can go in to making a tasty picnic or noshing type meal with a glass of wine or beer.  there are tons of informal eating places across the street in the mall area.  Overall I usually use Google Maps to find places to eat.  You can sort by cuisine and view reviews, web sites and menus .  

if you have any affection for trains, Isle of Wight uses old London Underground rolling stock for their local train.  To me that is worth the journey itself.  I would not miss a ramble around Salisbury.  Brighton is so well known for its beachfront I would consider that a day away as well.  They are also known for their Starling murmurations at the pier, though Summer it is less likely to see the massive flocks that create these.  Agree with John Bull about the rail card, this is a situation where it may be of actual savings most of us cannot take advantage.

If you spot a Morrisons supermarket on your travels, I always think that they do a very good value "make your own" salad.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aulanis said:

The options are endless?   Southampton is a university town and major cruise centre

so eateries are everywhere.   It will depend on your budget and taste.  There are many

Pubs that provide meals and you are very close to the west quay shopping centre which does dining and snacks  = https://www.west-quay.co.uk/dine/cafes-takeaways 

You can also open googlemaps and check restaurants for prices.

Thanks Aulanis but one thing I found is that when you check the menus on their websites, they give nutritional values of each meal but not prices.  Am I missing something or is that common practice in UK?

6 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

If you spot a Morrisons supermarket on your travels, I always think that they do a very good value "make your own" salad.  

Thanks fruitmachine, I'll keep an eye out for Morrisons.  And thanks for all your valuable Edinburgh info across the boards, it's one of our ports. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaudeLou said:

Thanks Aulanis but one thing I found is that when you check the menus on their websites, they give nutritional values of each meal but not prices.  Am I missing something or is that common practice in UK?

That's quite common, usually done by a chain that has more than one set of menu prices, which will be driven by the very different non-food costs they have between (say) London and a provincial location.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MaudeLou said:

Yes, big on dietary requirements - but that's nothing compared to labels on packaged grocery store foods 🙄

But altho some places don't quote prices on their web-page menus, most do.

I usually scroll past those that don't - I reckon that if they're too shy to quote prices its because they're expensive. But if you like the look of one, google its name & "prices", usually someone will post a photo of a priced menu. 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MaudeLou said:

It is to some extent whilst the "chain" establishments have  the same or very similar

menus  the prices can vary significantly.  Sometimes you can search deeper

by specific property and a more  useful menu can be found.

The Giddy Bridge   mentioned by @John Bull   is such an example.

Our hotels have been at that end of town  though its a nice walk through the  Parks from

where you are.   We have eaten there a few times  I would say its cheap and cheerful

though a bit noisy  depending on time.   Anyway  I attach a copy of the menu  from

our last visit  which should give you a starting point.  We also used the slug and lettuce

which was maybe a bit nicer and nearer the  centre of the town  ( two for one cocktail

offer also helped!) and prices were similar to giddy bridge.

S&L  Has some prices    you need to scroll down past the

health menu link.

https://www.slugandlettuce.co.uk/southampton/food-and-drink

ALL prices it says are on their app  which is what they all want you to get these days.    Order from table on the app etc  cuts down on staff

MENU_701.pdf

Edited by Aulanis
add s& L
  • Thanks 1