Bilbao - Private mini-bus with driver for large group?

sunfan03

Traveling with my dad and his siblings (14 pax) - looking for recommendations for private mini-bus hires (with drivers) for when we're in Bilbao.

We don't need luxury transportation, but I think it just might be easier to have our own transportation to explore. I'm just getting started so I don't know exactly where we'll go yet, so any advice is welcome. 

We also used Spain Day Tours last summer for two of our ports, Lisbon and Bilbao. Was very pleased with everything from initial contact through post-excursion follow-up. I would use them again without a doubt. Our Bilbao tour was shared. Our Lisbon tour was private. 

IMG_1258.thumb.jpeg.e8d626f3e7d720d7c79ee9b9b51b6d47.jpeg

IMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.773eb81e07cd5b7c393902742e62df49.jpeg

IMG_1266.thumb.jpeg.9e135aae5207467197b6348217b31d63.jpeg

IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.68d41032b809445230fa767c5011e4eb.jpeg

IMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.b221b22d53f7d148adf71a06a51e0ac2.jpeg

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.c30f8ead6f479186db35ac41002cd2b0.jpeg

• Like 2

I have to say I was glad to have a guide in Guggenheim. I probably would not have figured out some of the art (modern) with out him. He led a tour for part of the time in Guggenheim and then we had free time. We also had free time in other areas. It was a good balance between guide and information and free time. 

We probably had around 14 on our full size bus.

I used them in 3 ports - A Corona (for Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon (for Sintra and Lisbon) and Bilbao. While it was shared - it was full of CC people from our roll call. So we all sort of knew each other and many of us did multiple tours together. We had 3 buses in Lisbon. I have to say my Spain Day tours were top notch (coordination, price, guides, timing, payments, etc...). 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, need some advice...keep in mind that we'll be in Bilbao at the end of October and we're not really wine connoisseurs....but when in 

I reached out to Spain Day Tours and have this option at €115/pp: 

We will start this day-tour with a photo stop at the viewpoint of Artxanda to enjoy a wonderful view of the city of Bilbao.  We will continue to the city of Begoña where we will also stop for a photo break before heading to the old city of Bilbao.  Here we will normally do a walking tour of approx 1.5 hours that includes the Cathedral, Plaza Nueva and the "7 Calles".

You will then have some free time on your own to possibly do lunch. Our guide will be happy to show you some nice "Pintxo" places where you can taste and enjoy the delicious tapas of the region.

We will then head towards the Guggenheim museum where you can explore this famous site and spend approximately 1.5 hours surrounded by exciting art and architecture from around the world (we would probably skip museum).  On our way back to the ship we will pass "La Ria" and stop for at the Vizcaya bridge.

Or with Best of Basque at €110/pp:

Private tour
 Includes 1 winery tour (Tkakoli, local white wine) with 2-3 tastings

Includes 2 pintxos and 2 drinks at 1 bar in Bilbao

Or Best of Basque at €140/pp:
This tour of La Rioja is meant to showcase both the quality of the La Rioja wines and the stunning landscape found in the Ebro Valley. Includes 2 winery visits (3 tastings at each) and delicious picnic lunch within the vineyards of a boutique winery.

Or should we just get a taxi to Bilbao (what's average cost for 4 people/car) and roam on our own?  Maybe we could find and arrange wine-tasting in Bilbao?

22 hours ago, sunfan03 said:

Ok, need some advice...keep in mind that we'll be in Bilbao at the end of October and we're not really wine connoisseurs....but when in 

I reached out to Spain Day Tours and have this option at €115/pp: 

We will start this day-tour with a photo stop at the viewpoint of Artxanda to enjoy a wonderful view of the city of Bilbao.  We will continue to the city of Begoña where we will also stop for a photo break before heading to the old city of Bilbao.  Here we will normally do a walking tour of approx 1.5 hours that includes the Cathedral, Plaza Nueva and the "7 Calles".

You will then have some free time on your own to possibly do lunch. Our guide will be happy to show you some nice "Pintxo" places where you can taste and enjoy the delicious tapas of the region.

We will then head towards the Guggenheim museum where you can explore this famous site and spend approximately 1.5 hours surrounded by exciting art and architecture from around the world (we would probably skip museum).  On our way back to the ship we will pass "La Ria" and stop for at the Vizcaya bridge.

This is the tour I did. Though the order was sort of switched around. 

I really liked the balance between touring with a guide and free time. I thought this was a great tour!

I do not drink but there was plenty of time to do lunch, have some drinks, do some shopping and wander around.

I wasn't sure what to think of the Guggenheim as I am not into modern art. I absolutely loved it. And I was so glad to have a guide for part of the time as I wouldn't have figured out some of the art with out him.

Sorry - I have no clue about the other tours. I did enjoy all 3 of my tours with Spain Day Tours so I doubt you can go wrong. I really wasn't excited about Bilbao as a port stop but it turned out to be a great day and a great city! I was there November 11th. We had great weather.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

If you have not yet tried, you may want to contact local tourism offices for some advice. I've emailed some questions to both offices respectively, and they were very responsive and helpful.

Here're the links to their websites in case you want to contact: Getxo and Bilbao

We'll be in the area in mid Oct and are planning to get around the city by metro/trams with their 24-hr pass.

• Like 1