Are Grand Voyages Different from Other Cruises?

Woofbite

49 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

Is there any difference in food or entertainment or are they just longer voyages at higher average daily cost?

There is, IMHO, considerable differences in a Grand Voyage.  We took the 2018 Grand Asia.  There were more educational speakers; greater variety in menus, with recipes and ingredients reflecting the various foreign ports; formal/gala night gifts; theme nights; and various perks not available on regular cruises, including luggage delivery, complimentary bottles of liquor, etc.  I cannot comment on the entertainment because we normally do not go to the shows.  However, we did so on the Grand Asia and found them very enjoyable.  They frequently would have dancers and musician from the local ports, displayng their unique entertainment.

What we most enjoyed, however, was the camaraderie and "community feel" of these voyages.  We are eagerly looking forward to a repeat Grand Voyage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I recently sailed Grand and they definitely are as described by @Tampa Girl   Sure there have been some cutbacks but they still exceed the programs on the common voyages.  You do pay for that difference so carefully inspect your options. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can only say that we took a Grand Asia (69 days) in 2010 and another Grand Asia (70 days) in 2011 and a half World Cruise in 2014 and 2017 and the experiences were wonderful, great entertainment, lectures, and pillow gifts.  After following this years WC from those who posted almost daily on CC, it seems obvious to me that the current experience is very lacking.

Ray

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I can only say that we took a Grand Asia (69 days) in 2010 and another Grand Asia (70 days) in 2011 and a half World Cruise in 2014 and 2017 and the experiences were wonderful, great entertainment, lectures, and pillow gifts.  After following this years WC from those who posted almost daily on CC, it seems obvious to me that the current experience is very lacking.

Ray

I don’t think we disagree that there are cutbacks but they are still a step or two above the non-grands. I have done both this year.  There was definitely more enrichment, entertainment and regional cuisine on the grands.  I, personally, am done with grands. The premium paid is not worth it to me and that counts my experiences pre and post Covid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1