Tax owed upon delivery of Parks West order

bomabound

On my last cruise I ordered art for the first time on a cruise ship.  When we went through customs I declared it as goods purchased that were shipping later.  The customs officer filled out a form to show that we qualify for an $800 personal exemption and said to show the form to the FedEx guy upon delivery to have the taxes adjusted.  The art was delivered today and I tried this but the FedEx guy said they don’t do that at the door.

I have called FedEx to start a case to try to get reimbursed for taxes on $800 and hope that will eventually get processed but I’m wondering if there is some other way to have FedEx notified in advance so that taxes are calculated properly.  Has anyone here ordered from Parks West and found a better way to do this?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Got the same issue about 20 years ago. Art was delivered to our house while we were at work. Were asking for payment of taxes to deliver. We called them and they said they required a form from Canada border that it was declared. We got the form from CHP and went to collect the parcel without paying anything. Check with either FedEx or the border services for the procedure to follow.

Good luck.