ballroom dancing policy

renji

anyone know if there is a number that can be called regarding the dance pro/hosts policies?  just the general number or is there a corporate or cruise director number?  

Are you asking about the policy on whether there will be dance hosts on a particular voyage or something different?   At the moment it seems that dance hosts are on some voyages on QM2, but not all voyages, and it will depend both on whether Cunard wants hosts, and how many, as well as whether any of the registered dance hosts wish to accept a voyage to be official hosts. Many dance hosts will be choosing which voyages they are free to attend, as most have other commitments, including teaching in their home town at their own dance school.  So some voyages may not have any hosts who are free to be away for a few weeks.

But you can always call Cunard on their general contact number, and ask about a specific voyage, even though Cunard may not know for sure until near the departure date whether they will have any dance hosts. Or you can email customer services, and when they have an answer they will reply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Are you asking about the policy on whether there will be dance hosts on a particular voyage or something different?   At the moment it seems that dance hosts are on some voyages on QM2, but not all voyages, and it will depend both on whether Cunard wants hosts, and how many, as well as whether any of the registered dance hosts wish to accept a voyage to be official hosts. Many dance hosts will be choosing which voyages they are free to attend, as most have other commitments, including teaching in their home town at their own dance school.  So some voyages may not have any hosts who are free to be away for a few weeks.

But you can always call Cunard on their general contact number, and ask about a specific voyage, even though Cunard may not know for sure until near the departure date whether they will have any dance hosts. Or you can email customer services, and when they have an answer they will reply.

I was referring to the brand new prohibition on an evening lesson with the dance pros (which was a wonderful way for a lady without a partner to have a dance session and improve as well, and an important source of income for the pros).  The pros are not and never have been dance hosts, but apparently a lady complained about the horror of seeing someone else enjoy a lesson that she herself didn't wish to pay for. 

Interesting to think about. What kind of contract do they sign as a dance host versus someone who charges for a lesson? Would Cunard want a part of that lesson payment? The more I think about it the more complicated it becomes. I normally wouldn’t comment in this thread, but I sat next to International dance judges today and overheard their discussion. Teachers, judges, competitive dancers…were side deals made? Very interesting. I’m out of the discussion.

12 hours ago, renji said:

I was referring to the brand new prohibition on an evening lesson with the dance pros (which was a wonderful way for a lady without a partner to have a dance session and improve as well, and an important source of income for the pros).  The pros are not and never have been dance hosts, but apparently a lady complained about the horror of seeing someone else enjoy a lesson that she herself didn't wish to pay for. 

I have only ever seen such dancing when the professional dancer is paid by a lady to have an hour's social dancing 'practice' in the evening, but not as a 'lesson'.  There would appear to be no good reason to prohibit that, but no doubt others will post whether they see this as continuing on other voyages. It would be a shame if this can't continue as any reasonable minded person could not really find a reason to ban it. It gives ladies (and in principle men too) the chance to dance for an extended period with a real expert partner.

2 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

I have only ever seen such dancing when the professional dancer is paid by a lady to have an hour's social dancing 'practice' in the evening, but not as a 'lesson'.  There would appear to be no good reason to prohibit that, but no doubt others will post whether they see this as continuing on other voyages. It would be a shame if this can't continue as any reasonable minded person could not really find a reason to ban it. It gives ladies (and in principle men too) the chance to dance for an extended period with a real expert partner.

Hi ballroom-cruisers,

Enjoy your posts.

I thought the paid dancers gave lessons after the noon time free lessons in the Qx Rm I've seen on the Daily Programme ? Hope all works out. Cruising and dancing should be the priority and ill feels be put aside. The word should ENJOY the good times.

2 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Yes, exactly, it is a 45 minute social dancing practice session, rather than a lesson with any training conversation—meaning there is no impact on other dancers. I agree with you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi ballroom-cruisers,

Enjoy your posts.

I thought the paid dancers gave lessons after the noon time free lessons in the Qx Rm I've seen on the Daily Programme ? Hope all works out. Cruising and dancing should be the priority and ill feels be put aside. The word should ENJOY the good times.

Yes, the professional dancers run beginner group lessons in basic ballroom and Latin dances each sea day, and they will do private lessons by arrangement any day any time they are free and the room is available. The evening dancing was a separate issue.

• Thanks 1

We saw this one evening. The pros were Alex & Liuba. We came into Queens Room after dinner but perhaps 20 mins or so before band was due to start and recorded music was playing. A lady apparently travelling without a partner had paid for Alex to dance with her during that period. Liuba was hanging about waiting for Alex to finish.

The lady seemed to appreciate the opportunity to have dance time with an expert partner.

I can't imagine what complaint any other passenger could have about that.

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

We saw this one evening. The pros were Alex & Liuba. We came into Queens Room after dinner but perhaps 20 mins or so before band was due to start and recorded music was playing. A lady apparently travelling without a partner had paid for Alex to dance with her during that period. Liuba was hanging about waiting for Alex to finish.

The lady seemed to appreciate the opportunity to have dance time with an expert partner.

I can't imagine what complaint any other passenger could have about that.

I can if one/some other passengers weren't aware this was a paid for 'session'.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

She was aware, and aware she could have paid for a session. She was just angry that there weren’t “free” dance hosts.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You may have a point although renji assures us that wasn't the case here.

However in my experience professional dancers and dance teachers are not in the habit of offering their services without payment. Other than for organised charitable work.

I think that applies to most professions. I've seen a very odd exception but generally I expect to pay if a service is provided. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, renji said:

She was aware, and aware she could have paid for a session. She was just angry that there weren’t “free” dance hosts.  

Free dance hosts are not that easy to recruit.  They are paid nothing, and they have quite a bit of work to do to earn their free passage, dancing all evening once the dancing gets going, and of course the dance hosts risk injury or picking  up Covid and other infections dancing with a wide range of partners every evening. So not so many dancers are prepared to take on that  role compared with pre-pandemic times.  The professional dancers are providing a different role really, and it is usually more experienced dancers who are prepared to pay the professional ballroom dancers for either private lessons in the daytime, or 45 minute social dance sessions in the evenings, where they can try to improve their dancing skills by dancing with a high level partner. In the latter case some ladies who normally dance with their husband, or regular partner, may pay for that experience. This is quite different to solo ladies wanting to get some dancing on the floor with a dance host or any other single or available partner in the ballroom in the evenings.

• Like 1

Cruise Critic has an article dated 2022, which seems reasonably accurate. Except the cruise is not free, last I heard it was $30/day, and the hosts have to buy their own costumes.

Notably, they are supposed to not accept any gratuity, and to not display any favouritism. The dance standards cited are pretty minimal.

One of the sites you can find by searching cruise-ship-dance-host-agency mentions Compass Speakers, which apparently has copyrighted "Gentleman Host". I believe there is a UK agency as well.

"Copyrighted"?  Curious... since the entire concept of "gentlemen hosts" originated oh about 40 years ago with Royal Cruise Lines, San Francisco, and their President, Richard Revnes. One of the great innovators in the then nascent cruise trade who bemouned so many single ladies on cruises without anyone to dance with. He hired two or three hosts per cruise. So an idea that far predates anything connected with Cunard or other agencies. 

Revnes also forbade "self service" laundries on his ships (GOLDEN ODYSSEY and ROYAL ODYSSEY back then) and said he "would be damned if his lady passengers were stuck ironing their husbands' shirts on their holiday." And he most certainly had a point, although on my recent QV almost all the users of the laundry seemed to be... men.  

Dick Revnes was a real innovator, character and gentleman in the cruise industry... back when it had real people, individuals running things in a personalised way.  I had a client late arriving in Hong Kong, BCC, and risking missing the ship and Revnes' daughter stepped in and handled everything to ensure she got to the boat in time.  Those... were the days. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D&N said:

You may have a point although renji assures us that wasn't the case here.

However in my experience professional dancers and dance teachers are not in the habit of offering their services without payment. Other than for organised charitable work.

I think that applies to most professions. I've seen a very odd exception but generally I expect to pay if a service is provided. 

You know that; I know that but unfortunately, being able to book a lovely cruise does not automatically grant the cruiser common sense and  if someone [not the person highlighted, granted which is why I added 'some'] thinks another passenger is getting something they're not, then I can see where an issue could occur.

Edited by Victoria2
grammar