Current Flights Melt-Down Coverage Question....

Bo1953

Hello all, I Am wondering how will credit card's and/or travel insurance will look at and pay on claims for delays and missed connections????

I Am sure those who had a Berkshire Hathaway plan may have made out in terms of claims as they mainly cover delays, correct?

bon voyage

As with any claim, successful reimbursement for Trip Delay depends on the language in the policy and the documented reason for the delay.

The fee-based Chase cards I am familiar with provide coverage for faulty equipment, weather, labor strikes, or hijacking. The benefit is capped at $500 pp to be used for meals, hotels, or miscellaneous necessities such as toiletries.

These cards do not have a provision for Missed Connections, which would reimburse certain expenses if a Common Carrier delay caused you to miss the departure of your trip.

On the other hand, comprehensive travel policies routinely cover Trip Delay with a list of covered reasons that extends beyond Common Carrier delays, and the benefits can be more generous. They usually require that the delay be for a specified number of hours.

Not all comprehensive policies have Missed Connections coverage.

The key to all of this is that the documented reason for delay provided by the air line must be covered by the policy. Weather is covered. Subsequent delays and cancellations caused by lack of equipment and/or flight crews are not.

• Thanks 1

I should have also addressed the question of Berkshire Hathaway in order to give a complete answer. It is not that it covers mainly delays; it just covers them differently.

The language in the policy simply lists Common Carrier delay as a covered reason without defining specific conditions. The delay must meet the required number of hours, and eligibility remains in effect “until travel becomes possible.” The benefit is a maximum of $200 pp pd with a cap that varies depending on which policy you buy. It covers meals, hotel, taxi, and other miscellaneous expenses.

The Missed Connection provision requires the cancellation all regularly scheduled flights for X number of hours (again, depending on which policy) before you are eligible for the $500 benefit to catch up to your departed tour/cruise.

The provisions in the Berkshire Hathaway policies do not solve the problem of missing a cruise because of Common Carrier delays, but at least you are not likely to have to sleep on the floor at the airport.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:54 PM, Bo1953 said:

Hello all, I Am wondering how will credit card's and/or travel insurance will look at and pay on claims for delays and missed connections????

I Am sure those who had a Berkshire Hathaway plan may have made out in terms of claims as they mainly cover delays, correct?

bon voyage

Hi Bo,

The Berkshire Hathaway plans are good, but I've only sold a handful of their plans since they more than doubled their prices on 12/7/2021.

This page might help you make better sense of delays and missed connections:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-trip-delay-and-missed-connection-coverage/

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1