Greece itinerary question for Athens

Shynook11

We booked a cruise for next summer for Greece/Croatia on the Pearl leaving out of Trieste.  Ends in Athens.  We would like to stay a night or two to actually see Athens before flying home to Florida.   Has anyone any recommendations where to stay and if it's better to book air/hotel on our own or through NCL for this extension.  

"

I would stay somewhere around Ermou, which is quite central. It is an easy walk to most places from there. We stayed at the Electra Hotel last time which was nice, but there are quite a few decent hotels in the area.

Rooftop bars and restaurants are popular and many hotels have them. Breakfast was nice with a view over the city.

Peraonally I would always want to find and book my own place rather than leave it to the cruise line, but I suppose there may be some benefits to letting them do it.

Hotel Platka in the Platka neighborhood.  It is within walking distance to everything you want to see and in a safe area.  Some of the rooms face the Acropolis, and they have a rooftop bar that looks out over it as well.  When we stayed, the rates were reasonable.  Book yourself at  https://www.plakahotel.gr/

We LOVED Athens and the Platka area.  It’s about a 15-20 min taxi ride from the port and 25ish mins from the airport.

we stayed at the athens marriott  last year. very nice hotel, especially if you book the rooms with the concierge. also, if you go in early, the hilton doubletree in trieste is a beautiful hotel, and short ride to the pier

check pricing, there are many lovely hotels in the area.  Last January I stayed at Royal Olympic Hotel.  It was on par with about a 3.5 star hotel in America, and that's the price point I paid.  there is a roof garden restaurant where breakfast is served with a view of the Temple of Zeus ruins and the Acropolis.  Acropolis museum is only 2 blocks away, and once there you can walk through Plaka neighborhood and end up in Monastiraki, passing other ruins on the  way.  Syntagma and Ermou are only a couple stops away on the subway.  Athens is absolutely safe, just be wary of pickpockets at all times. 

• Like 1