Alaskan Cruise Help

Shadieeie

I am thinking about our 2007 vacation and am considering an Alaskan Cruise. I know about definately getting a balconey room, but anyone that did one, is there a better time of the year to do it. What kind of weather did you encounter on it, any help would greatly be appreciated. :cool:

The Season Starts Mid May and ends Mid September.

We went the second week of September and had a great time.

May and September are the cheapest months to go....

It might be a little warmer in June, July or August and the days might be longer.

We've lived in Anchorage for 19 years. We have the most sunshine from May 15 to July 15. After July 15 it can be rainy. It can also be nice - you are just taking a bit of chance at that point. The absolute best chance for warm weather and sunshine would be June 15 to July 15 - so that is why the cruises are more expensive then. I wouldn't recommend September as it can be really cold. May is ok and might be sunny - but things will just be starting to grow. I often don't have to mow my lawn until late May or early June. Hope that helps.

I too would not recommend past the first week of Sept. if you are worried about weather. It has the worse potential of the entire sailing season.

The discounts are not near enough to give the end of season a priority in my opinion. :) Great for end of season sales, and if you do go this timeframe, be WELL prepared in your attire.

Carnival offer a Northbound and Southbound and the Glacier One that is round trip, which one would y'all consider to be better, it seems as if the North/South one would be better but...any help here would be appreciated. :cool:

No "better" but if you aren't going to spend time touring interior Alaska- another week, the Carnival round trips with Glacier bay are just wonderful :) Bonus of their Wed. sailings has significantly less ships in port as well. :)

Hello All

I plan on 2 weeks in alaska in Sept 2007 from sept 1- sept 15

my 15th wedding anniversary is on Sept 12 2007

what do you recomend I do first land or the cruise with the sept weather

Thanks Andy

Hello All

I plan on 2 weeks in alaska in Sept 2007 from sept 1- sept 15

my 15th wedding anniversary is on Sept 12 2007

what do you recomend I do first land or the cruise with the sept weather

Thanks Andy

I would cruise north. Second week of Sept on a Inside Passage cruise, is more "iffy" than the first. Interior Alaska has a slower decline in weather. If looking at Denali Park, schedule that early in your week and note when the shuttles stop running. Possible to apply for the lottery to drive yourself, if timing works out?? Here is last year's information.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/mainpagefiles/2005%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf

how bad is the weather on the cruise south the 2nd week of sept

most of my fairbanks atractions are closed then and most toursaver coupons have expired

Andy

I would cruise north. Second week of Sept on a Inside Passage cruise, is more "iffy" than the first. Interior Alaska has a slower decline in weather. If looking at Denali Park, schedule that early in your week and note when the shuttles stop running. Possible to apply for the lottery to drive yourself, if timing works out?? Here is last year's information.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/mainpagefiles/2005%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf

Last couple years have been pretty good, but overall averages for after the first week are- ave. 3 days of rain, temps 45-60, dusk by 7pm.

I suggest you may want ot back up your two weeks by a week, go end of August into first week of Sept. Then you should have use of most of the toursaver options.

Archived