Top Drive: Freedom Jeep Review

BoozinCroozin

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

BoozinCroozin was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We had a good rate to rent a Freedom Jeep for the day from Top Drive. We had to meet at Manchebo Beach Resort (~$15 each way by taxi, so add that in). We are first off the ship somehow, get the resort, and Top Drive isn't even there yet (just before 8AM). They get there only to tell us our Jeep is not there and it will be another hour. That makes me even more mad because we can only sit there and do nothing. 9AM rolls around and they tell us the Jeep we have is broken down and they don't have one. Eventually, they get us the Jeep about 30 minute later with just a tailgate that wouldn't open. We finally get on our way to Tres Trapi and pass it 2x, but get there. Enjoyed snorkeling there for a bit then head out on our way to the lighthouse. The engine light comes on. We have no easy way to contact them, check the oil level and all is good. Checked temp and it is good. There were several others with Top Drive jeeps and we head on the rough side of the island to see the sights. Boy is it a long, rocky, fun drive on that side. A ton dusty, so if you have sinus issues cover up. It was a lot of fun seeing that side and getting to the Gold Mill and Secret Pool. We had lunch at the food truck. 3 meals and drinks was $40. You can't beat that at all. 

We make our way back into paved roads working our way down to Baby Beach. People say this is a great beach and area. I guess so, but not really much different than anywhere else. Because of the number of people the water was cloudy from kicked up sand. You have to walk a long ways to get shoulder deep water. The little snorkel area in the rocks is pretty fun and clear. Best to wear water shoes, walk to one end of it, let the current take you back to the main part of the water. Lots of fish and if you search you can see eels, sea snakes, etc. This was my favorite part. 

We made the long drive back to turn the car in. That was pretty uneventful. We get back to the ship, clean up, and then head back to the port area to meet a group to do Scorpion Shots. Unfortunately, they only had Small shirts left so most of us backed out. Still a fun time.

I think taking the Jeep was a one-time thing for us. Not that there was an issue, just our style is more "we did it, it was great, and not something we would do again". As for Top Drive, you have to decide on that for yourself. The price was right. If we didn't have to wait 90 minutes, it would have been fine. I would probably use them again if we were going to rent a Jeep. I would just make sure with them they have it.

• Like 1