Guides for Amsterdam

SPKR

Will be traveling Navigator from Monaco to Copenhagen June 3-June 17. We are in Amsterdamn June 14 and may want a guide to show us sights not included in the ships excursions (Anne Frank house). Any ideas and names would be appreciated

Hi SPKR,

We used Ab Walet as our guide through Amsterdam, Delft and Haarlem, last year. He was referred through Rick Steves Guides and was excellent -

abwalet@yahoo.com

If you are fortunate to tour with him, please send Denise & Alan's kindest regards.

I would strongly suggest you try to get any museum/Anne Frank tickets prior to your visit. Lines are very, very long and you waste precious time waiting in them.

Enjoy your visit to Amsterdam. It's a beautiful and fascinating city. Try to sample some incredible Indonesian cuisine, if time allows.

You might consider doing the city on your own, if you don't mind researching before you go. If I wanted a private guide in Amsterdam, I think I would want one that did not involve a car. Getting around in taxis is a pain in the old part of the city. If you have good legs, and a sense of adventure, combining walking with the tram would serve you well. Most everything is central and walkable. I have heard that the trick to getting into Anne Frank's house easily is to wait until late in the day, but that may not be an option for you.

Also consider if you have time for a canal boat trip. This is a fun and relaxing way to see the city. I love Amsterdam, it's one of my favourite cities.

We took a one full day walking tour of Amsterdam and one full day touring Delft/Haarlem with Ab. The only transport we used was the train to get from Amsterdam to Delft, Delft to Haarlem and Haarlem back to Amsterdam. Otherwise, we walked everywhere.

Ab took us to not only the important areas of Amsterdam, but many off the beaten path areas. He was superb. His love and knowledge of Amsterdam, Delft and Haarlem is very obvious and contagious.

I can also confirm Amsterdam is very easy to walk round and "do" on your own. Everyone is very friendly and English is very widely spoken. It's a lovely place. The Anne Frank House is a must see - I really felt the atmosphere and the displays are very good

Enjoy!

Wendy,

Ab was excellent and we were so pleased to spend two days with him. He added so much insight into everything we experienced. While one can easily tour a city such as Amsterdam on one's own, we really place a very high value on touring with a local who can add to the color and flavor of the destination.

Even with the best of guide books, I do think you can overlook many off the beaten path areas. We really felt as if we missed nothing during our two day touring.

I must also say that Ab's rates were very reasonable for the amount of time he gave us. If ever we go back to Amsterdam, we will be certain to tour with him again.

The Anne Frank House is not to be missed. It gave us a very personal and emotional insight into the plight of everyone held captive in such close and confining quarters and under such terrifying and extreme circumstances. We've read Anne's book and seen the movies; however, the visit was something we will carry with us, always. It was an emotional experience beyond words.

Archived