Excursion ideas / things to see for the Caribbean

Presto2

On 11/7/2023 at 2:38 PM, Vampiress88 said:

St Lucia- ………….Maybe by land and sea excursion

About ten years ago we wished to see the Pitons at the other end of the island, we did a P&O excursion down to that area by road with stops on the way then catamaran back very enjoyable, Catamaran stopped at a bay to allow people to have a swim after which the rum was broken out. I don't known if this can be booked independently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

About ten years ago we wished to see the Pitons at the other end of the island, we did a P&O excursion down to that area by road with stops on the way then catamaran back very enjoyable, Catamaran stopped at a bay to allow people to have a swim after which the rum was broken out. I don't known if this can be booked independently.

Can confirm it's yes and yes to that.  I agree is a great trip, only "dud" bit on the P&O trip is the lunch which is pretty poor.  

I think Vamps is considering this one via P&O and it sells out quite quickly so suggest reserving early if she can.

Also as Presto2 said the Antigua catamaran sailaway sells out.  There are two companies used by P&O, Mystic and Wadali Cats both seat about 40 people if I recall.  Not much to choose between them but Wadali Cats crew love a party!

14 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We also enjoyed a nice trip to Altos De Chavon from La Romana

It's a recreated mediterranean themed resort complete with large replica Roman amphitheatre. Very high end resort 

Interesting to walk round lots of shops, bars and restaurants

All the stars use to be flown in to perform in the amphitheatre including Frank  Sinatra

Michael Jackson allegedly got married in a beautiful church there

It's less than 30 minutes transfer from the cruise terminal with organised shuttles at a decent price

Probably one of the more interesting options in La Romana 

Did you do this tour with P&O ? I'm reading some reviews on TA where people are complaining about a $50 entrance fee and was wondering if this was included in the cost of the tour (I presume it is but it doesn't make it clear on the site) 

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Did you do this tour with P&O ? I'm reading some reviews on TA where people are complaining about a $50 entrance fee and was wondering if this was included in the cost of the tour (I presume it is but it doesn't make it clear on the site) 

There was a stand outside the cruise terminal that organised local town road train tours and this tour in mini buses I seem to remember.

The local town tours were fully booked for 2 hours so we did this instead.  Im sure we didn't pay anywhere near 50 us dollars each for the whole thing including transport. I've also seen passports were needed.  

I'm sure they weren't needed either as I don't think we would have had them with us UNLESS the whole cruise was told we needed passports with us that day. We definitely didnt head back to the ship to get them. 

Although man made it was a really interesting place and some great views. King Kong, apocalypse now and Rambo were filmed there. 

We would recommend it. The amphitheatre they've recreated there was amazing and real unexpected to stumble across.

Food and drink quite expensive there and the shops also expensive. But it is a 5 star high end resort. 

Made a change from just heading to the beach. Spent about 2 hours walking around I would say

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Thanks 1