Excursion ideas / things to see for the Caribbean

Presto2

5 hours ago, tring said:

You also need to remember that you need to get back to the ship in time for sailing and you can get caught up in traffic later on in the day on the Islands with cruise passengers returning to the port, as well as the risk something else could happen, e.g. vehicle could break down.  Hence better to do research and decide at beginning of day if you are looking for a taxi tour, though you do not have to leave as soon as the ship is cleared.

I agree the ports of call section here is good for research and you could always ask specific questions there, which will have more people who travel to the Caribbean a lot to answer those questions you may have, so prices mentioned are much more likely to be up to date.  Some tour companies over there may be suggested, so you can look at their offerings on the net and perhaps even book before you arrive at a port, if you wish to do so, but make sure any money is payable on the day, or is refundable, obviously.  On the day booking of a taxi may well be better though if you are restricted to specific vehicles.  Things have changed a bit since covid.

Also, do you use the "What's in Port" website, where you can look up specific ports and get lots of information about them - even videos of the ports or the islands.  You can also search ships in port for the day you are docked (though sometimes not all are listed), so you can get an idea of how busy the port will be and see a map of the port as well as the location of the cruise docking postion.  If there is more than one docking location, it will mention that as well.  Link to that website:-

https://www.whatsinport.com/

Happy searching and hope the holiday goes really well for you both,

Barbara

Thanks Barbara. That all makes sense but we like to disembark after breakfast and after the initial rush has subsided, so we may just have to take our chances. Thankfully, from the excellent feedback I have received, it seems as though most ports have enough to see without necessarily using a cab.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Barbara. That all makes sense but we like to disembark after breakfast and after the initial rush has subsided, so we may just have to take our chances. Thankfully, from the excellent feedback I have received, it seems as though most ports have enough to see without necessarily using a cab.

We are usually later leaving the ship as I am not good in the mornings, but there are normally taxi's about touting for custom later in the morning, but not so much by the afternoon.  I am sure you will find something of interest and no matter what you do, (or do not do), the weather will be a lot better than here and the sail in/sail out of the ports is always interesting to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

If your trip includes Antigua, then a taxi to English harbour and Nelsons dockyard would be worthwhile. Although the port area is probably one of the best for shops and bars.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So far we’ve got

Barbados - savvy on the bay at night then catamaran next day 

Tortola- cane garden bay

La Romana- pool at port

St Maarten- great bag beach

Antigua- …………. Maybe p&o catamaran excursion?

St Kitts-Carambola/ship wreck bar

Martinique- bbq and beach excursion 

St Lucia- ………….Maybe by land and sea excursion

Thinking £2000 budget?

Hows rest of your planning going Presto? I think you go before me

• Like 1

I am just reseaching tours. I have found 2 great sites Caribbean Island Tours and Caribbean Excursions You Save They Benefit. I am trying to avoid beach based ones as DH doesn't do beaches, but I do want to find some Rum and Chocolate tours and would like to visit the Curacao Distillery.

On Tortola, Cane Garden beach is not good. All the cruise ships go there. Did a good excursion to another island with BBQ included. Carambola Beach Club is good. If you are docked at Seraphina in St Lucia, don't miss Rum Therapy. Mad there, but great fun. 

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

So far we’ve got

Barbados - savvy on the bay at night then catamaran next day 

Tortola- cane garden bay

La Romana- pool at port

St Maarten- great bag beach

Antigua- …………. Maybe p&o catamaran excursion?

St Kitts-Carambola/ship wreck bar

Martinique- bbq and beach excursion 

St Lucia- ………….Maybe by land and sea excursion

Thinking £2000 budget?

Hows rest of your planning going Presto? I think you go before me

Hi

We are all sorted we think 🙂 We have some excursions, have booked a golf cart for Bonaire and have a few ports where we will DIY and just have a more relaxed day. 

I notice you are thinking of the catamaran in Antigua. When we were on Britannia in May the excursions person recommended this one and said it was a must. Have read some great feedback and it books out early !

Will make sure that we keep you up to date when we go.

Looking forward to what will be our joint 60th and retirement cruise 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 4:54 PM, Fionboard said:

On Tortola, Cane Garden beach is not good. All the cruise ships go there. Did a good excursion to another island with BBQ included. Carambola Beach Club is good. If you are docked at Seraphina in St Lucia, don't miss Rum Therapy. Mad there, but great fun. 

Totally agree 

Cane Garden Beach I would not recommend at all. Too many people there. Our worst day out.

Although one highlight was a distillery doing cheap tastings and tours behind the beach. 

The beach itself was not pleasant. Overcrowded.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

At St Marteen Maho Beach (the airport beach) is great fun if you've never visited before

The big planes start landing and taking off about lunch time

Cheap mini bus shuttles to be had there and back from the terminal

Bars serving decent food on the beach

We enjoyed the most amazing and exhilarating jet ski safari in Antigua.

Probably our best day out from a cruise anywhere

It's called Real Paradise jet ski safari

It's a perfect description 

There's also a guy in st maarten who in the past we enjoyed a brilliant day out on one of his large speedboats. With a great stop for lunch and visit close to Maho Beach to sea the planes. And the chance to snorkel

Top rated on trip advisor

Captain Bob Speed is the organiser

Currently 115 pounds per head

Really great day out. 6 hrs.

We also enjoyed a nice trip to Altos De Chavon from La Romana

It's a recreated mediterranean themed resort complete with large replica Roman amphitheatre. Very high end resort 

Interesting to walk round lots of shops, bars and restaurants

All the stars use to be flown in to perform in the amphitheatre including Frank  Sinatra

Michael Jackson allegedly got married in a beautiful church there

It's less than 30 minutes transfer from the cruise terminal with organised shuttles at a decent price

Probably one of the more interesting options in La Romana 

https://fb.watch/obK_sqBKfx/

https://fb.watch/obLfWCvH_X/

This is the Real Paradise Jet ski safari in Antigua

2 people can share a Jetski. At the end there's a nice beach with sunbed and small cocktail bar and music. 

If only one of you wants to Jetski the other can stay on the beach 

Any one who's half thinking to try don't hesitate the views are stunning 

They do go fast though. 

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We enjoyed the most amazing and exhilarating jet ski safari in Antigua.

Probably our best day out from a cruise anywhere

It's called Real Paradise jet ski safari

It's a perfect description 

There's also a guy in st maarten who in the past we enjoyed a brilliant day out on one of his large speedboats. With a great stop for lunch and visit close to Maho Beach to sea the planes. And the chance to snorkel

Top rated on trip advisor

Captain Bob Speed is the organiser

Currently 115 pounds per head

Really great day out. 6 hrs.

ICF the OP has two young children so perhaps high speed adventures might not be on her radar this time around. I recall you saying you took your kids previously, anything you can recall on that front might be of help.

Personally I'm at a bit of a loss on stuff for children not having the pleasure but I'm aware a lot of trips say no under 8's so I'm sure she would appreciate hearing from someone with experience.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

ICF the OP has two young children so perhaps high speed adventures might not be on her radar this time around. I recall you saying you took your kids previously, anything you can recall on that front might be of help.

Personally I'm at a bit of a loss on stuff for children not having the pleasure but I'm aware a lot of trips say no under 8's so I'm sure she would appreciate hearing from someone with experience.

we are going to try jet skis but on st Maarten. Reason being is that we wouldn’t want very long on them or to leave the bay with the kids. Plus $199 for jet ski x2 is bit expensive for us. 
Youngest will just be 8 for this trip but lots actually say not under 12 even for some P&o trips. 
I also have bladder issues so like to go where there are facilities even though cane bay is busy

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

we are going to try jet skis but on st Maarten. Reason being is that we wouldn’t want very long on them or to leave the bay with the kids. Plus $199 for jet ski x2 is bit expensive for us. 
Youngest will just be 8 for this trip but lots actually say not under 12 even for some P&o trips. 
I also have bladder issues so like to go where there are facilities even though cane bay is busy

Sounds a good plan.  St Maarten is extremely civilised being Dutch/French and has as a result good safety protocols.  Much as I love all the islands some do leave a lot to be desired in that area!

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Things we've done with kids (from 8 years upwards)

Our kids loved the river tubing experiences - slow and fun down the river in inner tubes

Anything involving snorkelling

PIrate Boat trips

Anything involving zip lines anywhere

Segway experiences

On Boatyard Beach in Barbados there used to be a rope swing into the sea and inflatables in the sea. Plus there you can hire jet skis and kids could go behind parents

The Captain Bob Speed boat experience in Saint Marteen the kids enjoyed as it involved snorkelling and was just fun all round

They absolutely  loved the airport beach (Maho Beach) in st maarten as well. This is a really fun and exciting experience and you get great photos

There's some off the top of my head (it's a while ago so can't remember where they all were)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sounds a good plan.  St Maarten is extremely civilised being Dutch/French and has as a result good safety protocols.  Much as I love all the islands some do leave a lot to be desired in that area!

Martinique if you get the ferry to the Islands there was good jet skis in the bay there to hire as well. Plus facilities. We went to the French Island can't remember the name