Detailed thoughts after June 23 QM2 Crossing

NE John

Disclaimer-I don’t dance or rather my husband won’t but I always enjoy watching when on a cruise. We did a first TA in Sept/Oct and I had heard good things about the largest dancefloor at sea and was looking forward to seeing it in action. I personally think it was very underused resource.There were maybe 8 couples dancing most nights, the usual mix of outright show offs and the competent. I can see why it would be intimidating to get on the floor as a newbie unless it was a freestyle/disco dance. Just my opinion but why are the professional dancers underused in the evenings? They did a quick maybe five minute exhibition dance and then they were off. It would surely be a good opportunity for them to get involved, help with dancefloor etiquette and get some more people dancing without feeling unwelcome. 

The professional dance couple are paid on contract to run the ballroom group classes on sea days, and to do show dances on Gala nights (sometimes one around 9pm and a second repeat around 11pm).  The also offer private dance lessons at cost.  Their contract does not require them to act as dance hosts for various reasons.  They will dance with a partner at cost for standard periods of 45 minutes at a time in the evenings - but it that is really a practice session for social dancing that is like dance training from a high level professional dancer.

So a 'newbie' can attend one or more of the beginner classes around lunchtime on a sea day - and for example learn some basic cha cha or waltz, and then come to the evening dancing and try dancing what they have learned - at first people make lots of mistakes - but the more a couple gets on the floor and practices, the easier it will (gradually) become.  It's a bit like being a long jumper - you get some training and have a go - the more you practice, the better you get at it, and the longer the jumps become over a period of time.

So the answer is that the daytime dance classes are where the training happens (or daytime private lessons), and the evening is for social dancing, having fun as well as using that time as practice to get better at it.

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You might note the phrase is in quotation marks insinuating a slight skepticism  in the actual slowly turning around bit.

My apologies for keeping you waiting while I went for dinner.

You'll also have to forgive my poor command of English Grammar. To me the phrase being in quotation marks indicates that was exactly what was written in a prior post.

It's my belief that they were moving as they described. On a Glasgow dance floor they might be described as dancing a "Moony", typically the last dance of the evening in a disco when a slow number is played.

On a packed floor we sometimes dance in a similar manner, using proper ballroom steps when possible without the correct "hold", which means we take up much less space and don't hit anyone with our elbows.

4 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

If there was a drastic reduction in use of the Queen's Room for ballroom dancing, then it is likely Cunard would lose regular passengers who currently stay with Cunard for cruises pury because it it the only cruise line where ballroom dancing is possible every evening over an extended period on a decent sized dance floor. If passengers could no longer enjoy ballroom dancing properly each evening, then they would have a large choice of other lines where they can't ballroom dance on holiday, or they can go on land based holidays aimed squarely at ballroom dancing, and which are increasing in availability and popularity, at least in the UK. Whether Cunard could then attract enough non-ballroom dancers, across a wider age range to their ships is an interesting question.

Equally there are some passengers who stick with Cunard because they can come into the Queen's Room, and enjoy a drink and social chat, whilst specifically watching ballroom dancing - some of those passengers could be lost to Cunard too, if the Queen's Room functionality was drastically cut back.

Then why is Queens room empty most nights

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Then why is Queens room empty most nights

We've only been in it for 14 successive nights in May/June 2022.

On Gala nights it was difficult to find space to move on the floor. In our first week there were lots of ballroom and latin dancers. The floor was only ever quiet if the band was playing awful music, which happens occasionally when they try to fit music to a dance it wasn't meant for.

The second week the mix was a bit different, with more jive, swing type dancers.

But the floor was still well used.

We did often head to G32 when Exxile were playing as their musicality beat the Queens Room performers and 95% of the time we had the G32 floor to ourselves, although we made sure that we didn't get in the way of anyone who came on the floor and tried to encourage others onto the floor when we stopped briefly for refreshments.

When we passed back through the Queens Room heading for nightcaps we sometimes re-joined the dancing if the music was attractive and noted that the floor was still being well used. And sometimes stopped to talk to some of the many spectators in Queens Room.

In our experience it wasn't empty most nights, although we can't vouch for the other 351 nights of 2022.

• Like 1

Our experience matches that of D&N - and on most voyages we have been on that has also been the case. Of course there are periods when it is quiet - such as immediately after first sitting dinner, when some people are in the bars having a pre-dinner drink for second sitting, and other people who have already had dinner are heading off to the theatre. But once the orchestra starts playing it is usually pretty busy.  There may be some voyages where there are less dancers, less people who want to watch dancing, or maybe those who want to want will leave if there are few people dancing. But in general it has been well used on the voyages we have been on. On the most recent voyage we were on (Mediterranean for two weeks up to 23rd June) the Queen's Room was pretty well used every evening (12 out of 14 evenings were just ballroom and Latin), and the other two nights were party nights - and of course some evenings if there are cocktail parties the ballroom is used for those, so the evening dancing doesn't start till 8.45pm. So perhaps some people have had a look in at times that coincided with a short period of half an hour when it wasn't that busy.  But it is the overall pattern over a whole evening that is a better measure of how full the ballroom is on average. Also later in the evening after 10.30pm or so it does get less busy, as quite a few people head to bed. That is a time when those who want to move more with more space available get a chance to stretch out a bit.  Some evenings when the orchestra played 4 sets it was busy until almost midnight.  So to get a good measure of how well the Queens Room is used it needs a full set of data on the number of people who are dancing, as well as spectating, across every evening of a whole voyage, and then compare that measure for different voyages. A few looks into the ballroom at odd random times doesn't give a proper picture.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

Why not have a few hours for the the arm flingers, and the same for the slow turners.I think I know who would have the most fun.That’s what’s cruising is all about isn’t it?

I am throughly enjoying all the comments 

I love your idea.

• Like 2

When I was on the QM2 in May there were a dance host couple.  They were very active dancing with many of the solo cruisers that wanted to dance.  They did a great job making everyone feel welcome.  I enjoyed watching the dancers and listening to the music as I am not a dancer.

I shall be on the August 18th sailing from NYC to Southampton. I am an "intermediate" ballroom dancer. (Bronze). I am fairly good at my level when it comes to class and executing a syllabus routine we are learning that I "know". However, "social" dancing (ballroom) where I have to follow a lead and do not know what is coming next is a struggle for me as I find it difficult to understand what the gentleman is trying to communicate if they are not at a level much higher than I am. And even then sometimes if they are a higher level, I can't "get" the nuance of their lead because I am not as practiced with more advanced leads. I just booked two "classes" with my instructor/coach last night for social dancing practice to prepare for the crossing. This means instead of regular class, we are going to attend one of the schools dance parties together and practice "just dancing" so I have to learn better how to follow a lead when there is no set routine or syllabus.

I must tell you that in class last night (bronze level) there were so many mistakes and oops moments and our instructors favourite thing to say as we switch partners is "apologize to each other before we start". If you are on my sailing and watch me with my coach you will see me mess up a bazillion times, often to the point where we have to stop and reset and I will be laughing and rolling my eyes at myself. Bless his heart, he has the patience of a saint to dance with me some days I think.

All that to say this: I am traveling solo and while I am sure I will have a few evening dances with my coach or other students (we are in a group) I am also more than happy to dance with any gentleman of any level who would like. We can box step around. We can sway. We can do whatever. I just like listening to the music and moving my body. Also, in my school, we train both sides (lead and follow) so I am not a strong leader but can lead some things like a simple fox trot or waltz. I just have to reset my brain to be on the opposite side. Often we have ladies who practice together so I am quite comfortable dancing with ladies as well. Sometimes I attend classes to just practice the lead. 

If you like to dance, you will always be welcome with me whatever your level or preference (lead or follow). If you took the rumba lesson earlier in the day and just want to basic step around the floor, I am happy to do that. Just bring your smile and have some fun. Real dancers love to dance and are not snobby about it 🙂 

• Like 3

Absolutely fine and great to hear you are happy to dance whatever figures or not that you are doing - we all make mistakes at every level we dance. Becoming a follower is a special skill, just as becoming a leader is a special skill, and it does not happen instantly.  Over time learning how to read the leader's 'lead' develops slowly, and of course if the leader isn't 'leading' correctly, then even a highly experienced follower won't be able to follow!  So it is all fun and laughter, and if you are enjoying the music as you fumble, then that is fine. For sure I don't lead anywhere near perfectly, so my understanding in a partners response, who can't follow my bad leads is vital!  If you can laugh it off, then you will have fun and enjoyment whilst becoming more experienced, and that is the way life on the dance floor should be. Enjoy your August voyage.

• Like 1